Meet Steven Gilmore. The wannabe rapper tried to rob a Florida convenience store Friday night and shot an employee in the head with a BB gun in a bid to establish "street cred" for his nascent hip-hop career.
The 21-year-old Gilmore, seen in the below mug shot, admitted his harebrained scheme after he was arrested Saturday night, according to Gainesville police.
Gilmore, who also copped to a stickup of the Hungry Howie's restaurant, told police that he thought the robberies would provide him the kind of reputation he apparently believes is required in the rap world.
According to a Gainesville Police Department report, Gilmore, wearing a bandanna over his face and carrying a BB gun, fled empty-handed from the Super Store convenience outlet after struggling with a store clerk over the weapon.
During the encounter, the clerk, Dharmedra Patel, was shot in the temple and suffered a laceration and bleeding. The Hungry Howie's heist netted Gilmore about $900, records show, and he departed the crime scene on a moped driven by a 16-year-old accomplice.
The aspiring rap performer's career is now on hold as he faces attempted armed robbery and aggravated assault charges. He is currently being held in the Alachua County Jail on the felony counts.
Somali pirates are receiving reports on possible targets from informers in London, a Spanish radio station said Monday quoting a military report from a European country. The pirates, using satellite phones on their boats, receive details from their sources in the British capital on the routes, cargos and nationalities of vessels to attack, private radio station Cadena Ser said. "The information that merchant ships transiting the zone provide voluntarily to different international organisations ends up in the hands of the pirates," it said. The report had been handed over to the military commanders of other European countries taking part in the European anti-piracy operation Atalanta.
Cadena Ser said several attacks were carried out by Somali pirates using the method cited in the report, in particular the seizing of a Spanish fishing boat on March 13, of a Greek cargo ship, the Titan, and a Turkish merchant vessel, the Karagol. The radio said the pirates avoid attacking ships of certain nationalities, in particular British vessels.
According to the International Maritime Bureau, pirate attacks off lawless Somalia increased tenfold in the first three months of this year.
ION EUROS PAKISTANI/ISRAELI DEFENCE FORUMS > VIDEO: MUSLIM DEMOGRAPHICS > FRANCE, GERMANY WILL BE MAJORITY MUSLIM BY 2050. The rest of the EU = EUROZONE will also face potent domestic Muslim populations.
As a reminder from the 1990's > ALL THINGS EQUAL, THE GREATEST WEAPONS OF TECHS-INFERIOR RADICAL ISLAM WILL BE HIGH MUSLIM BIRTHRATES AS COUPLED WID INTERNAL WESTERN DISSENSIONS/
ANARCHISMS = HYPER-CORRECTNESS, + DEFEATING THE US-WEST/ALLIES FROM WITHIN, notsomuch per se battlefield or milpol victories agz the US-West.
A Saudi judge has told a seminar on domestic violence that it is okay for a man to slap his wife for lavish spending, a local newspaper reported on Sunday. Judge Hamad al-Razine of Jeddah gave the example of overspending to buy a high-end abaya, the head-to toe black shroud Saudi women have to wear in public, as justifying a smack for one's wife, Arab News said. "If a person gives 1,200 riyals to his wife and she spends 900 riyals to purchase an abaya from a brand shop, and if her husband slaps her on the face as a reaction to her action, she deserves that punishment," he said. The judge's remarks sparked an outcry at the seminar on the role of judicial and security officials in preventing domestic violence, the paper reported. Officials as well as activists on domestic violence, including representatives of the National Family Safety Programme, attended the seminar.
[Bangla Daily Star] Former foreign minister M Morshed Khan was sent to jail after he surrendered before a Dhaka court yesterday in connection with a graft case in which he was sentenced to 13 yearsŽ rigorous imprisonment (RI) in absentia.
questionable just when Hoogo switches from pathetic clown to WOT material, but it's coming soon
A fresh round of expropriations in Venezuela has raised fears that the Opec producer's already declining oil output could sink to its lowest level in the past 20 years.
Troops were mobilised over the weekend to assist Venezuela's state-owned oil company, PDVSA, in seizing the assets of some 60 oil service companies, after a law was approved last week that paves the way for the state to take increasing control over its all-important oil industry.
"To God what is God's, and to Caesar what is Caesar's," said Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez, as he presided over the expropriation of at least a dozen rigs, more than 30 oil terminals and some 300 boats.
"Today we also say: to the people what is the people's," the socialist leader said to roars of approval from red-clad supporters on the shores of Lake Maracaibo, the heartland of the nation's oil production.
This move forms part of a broader assault against the private sector, which Mr Chavez has increasingly blamed as Venezuela slides into recession. Simultaneously he is engaging in what opposition leaders say is a campaign of persecution of his political foes.
Manuel Rosales, a former presidential candidate, has been granted asylum in Peru to escape arrest over corruption charges, while congress has removed almost all the spending powers of Antonio Ledezma, the anti-Chavez mayor of Caracas. Other opponents have been jailed or gone into hiding.
PDVSA, which is suffering from a sharp fall in export income, made the surprise move against the oil service companies in response to their threat that they would suspend operations until it paid a backlog of invoices. Some, including Helmerich & Payne and Ensco International, abandoned rigs this year.
PDVSA, which is under pressure to cut expenses by 60 per cent because of tumbling revenues, is estimated to owe as much as $12bn (8.9bn, £7.9bn) to contractors since suspending payments to them last August, shortly after oil prices began their precipitous decline.
It has demanded that companies accept a 40 per cent cut in their bills, arguing that the decline in oil prices means they are charging too much.
The new law will also enable PDVSA to pay debts with bonds rather than cash, and compensate assets at book value.
The move is the latest sign of the deepening cashflow crisis that has bedeviled the state oil company for at least two years as it has become overburdened with responsibilities far removed from its core business -- in particular funding and running the massive social programmes that have become the bedrock of Mr Chavez's support.
But analysts say that by shifting its problems onto its suppliers, PDVSA is storing up even bigger problems for the future. Not only does it lack the ability to operate as efficiently as the service providers, but it sends a grim signal to companies considering investing in Venezuela. Consequently, future oil production is under threat.
Perhaps most worrying is the impact this could have on foreign companies' interest in a major auction currently underway to develop the Carabobo block in the oil-rich Orinoco Belt, which is the first oil investment opportunity in Venezuela in the last decade, and represents the oil dependent country's biggest hope for reviving sagging production. According to the IEA, production fell to 2.36m bpd in 2008, compared to 3.18m bpd in 1997, although PDVSA claims it actually increased to 3.27m bpd in 2008. you can't get blood from a turnip, but you can beat it from opposition heads, Fidel Jr. knows...He needs a lead headache
Maybe after they finish hanging all their
secular military officers like the Iranians did,
perhaps it will dawn on some who actually run turkey these day.
Erdogan is an Islamist no different than Bin Laden
or Khomeini, with a lot of "takya"(hypocrisy)
and they already are taking over
eurostan....cant blame the zeropeans to not
be too keen on enduring Pakistan's fate.
Posted by: Ming the Merciless ||
05/11/2009 22:24 Comments ||
Citing the Pentagon's recent success in meeting its manpower needs, the Obama administration is proposing to cut the Defense Department's budget for recruiting by nearly $800 million, or 11 percent, for 2010.
The proposed budget would reverse years of increased spending aimed at bolstering military forces strained by six years of combat in Iraq and nearly eight in Afghanistan. From 2004 to 2008, annual funding for recruiting and retention programs more than doubled, from $3.4 billion to $7.7 billion.
Amid a deep recession that has made the military a more appealing option for job seekers, all the armed services have consistently met or exceeded their recruiting and retention goals in recent months, according to the Pentagon.
"As a result of the services' recent success in maintaining this quality force, such a high level of funding for recruiting and retention is no longer required," the White House said in its budget, released Thursday.
To meet the cuts, the White House said, the military services would have to cap recruiting and retention programs at 2009 levels, lower enlistment and reenlistment bonuses, reduce the advertising budget, and cut the number of recruiters.
Pentagon officials, while acknowledging that weak economic conditions and the dire job market have made it easier to meet recruiting quotas, have cautioned against cutting recruiting and retention programs too severely.
"The challenge for the services will be to avoid budget cuts that will be too large, in the wrong places and taken too quickly," Curtis Gilroy, the Pentagon's accessions policy director, said in a statement before the budget's release.
The Army's budget for bonuses in 2010 would be cut significantly from what the service is tentatively slated to receive in 2009. Funding for reenlistment bonuses for the active-duty force would be reduced to $444 million from $626 million; for enlistment bonuses, to $450 million from $549 million; and for officer bonuses, to $77 million from $134 million.
Lt. Gen. Edgar E. Stanton III, the Army's military deputy for the budget, described the cuts as consistent with the recruiting environment.
"We have this year already reduced the bonuses for retention and recruiting based on the fact that we have a more propitious recruiting environment," Stanton told reporters at the Pentagon on Thursday.
The increased pool of recruits has enabled the Army to reverse a decline in standards in recent years and again become more selective, turning away those with criminal records, for example.
But officials caution that the pendulum may swing again in the opposite direction.
In testimony to the House Armed Services subcommittee on military personnel in March, Gilroy warned that cuts to recruiting made during previous recessions ended up being costly to the military.
"Historically, when the economy weakens and recruiting and retention became less challenging, these programs have been ripe for cuts," Gilroy said, adding that the reductions caused a "crisis" for the services in the late 1970s as well as problems in the mid-1980s and the late 1990s.
"These lessons from the past showed us that it is easy and quick to cut budgets during times when recruiting and retention are successful," Gilroy warned. "But we also learn from those lessons of the past how difficult and how time-consuming and how expensive it is when we need to ramp up -- when recruiting and retention failed as a result of those budget cuts."
the reductions caused a "crisis" for the services in the late 1970s
Let's see. Who was President in the late 70's? Was it Ford? Was it Reagan?
No! it was Jimmeh Carter!
In my reserve career (1970-1994), the Carter Administration was definitely the low point.
Posted by: Rambler in Virginia ||
05/11/2009 17:27 Comments ||
The U.S. has purchased two Su-27 fighters from Ukraine. They were delivered in a Ukrainian An-24 transport. The Su-27s will be used to help train American pilots to cope with the growing number of Su-27 and Su-30 fighters being sold to air forces the world over. The two Su-27s will also be used to test the effectiveness of new U.S. radars and electronic warfare equipment. Had them shipped by airfreight instead of just flying them over? I guess the refueling pods aren't compatible.
Whole lot safer to air reight enemy fighters, than fly them in, somebody somewhere is sure ot either NOT get the "Safe" call, or an real enemy to tag along and be "Accepted" as safe.
Umm Johnson,SIR, are we supposed to accept two fighters, or three? and then all hell breaks loose.
Posted by: Redneck Jim ||
05/11/2009 9:44 Comments ||
Also, keeps the engine hours down. Engine design has always been a problem for the Russians (Soviets?). Range is also not the best even with extra tanks. Can't remember if SU-27's have in-flight refueling equipemnt. And (now that I'm on a roll) Russians use "probe and drogue" like the USN, whereas USAF uses "flying boom."
AA5839; I agree. In addition you would have to hire trained air and ground support and equipment to service them in transit. Better to train all involved at home base and in a more controlled environment. (and that water is really cold during the over-ocean flight)
Two alleged criminals were killed in an 'encounter' with Gujranwala Police on Sunday. A spokesman for Punjab Police said police officials of the Jinnah Road Police Station were transporting two accused, Imran Masih and Mohsin Masih, to the police station when unidentified armed men managed to free the accused from the police custody. However, he said the officials informed the police deployed in nearby localities of the incident. During a chase of the criminals' vehicle, the two accused were killed while their accomplices managed to escape from the scene.
Around 10,000 Thai protesters rallied in Bangkok on Sunday, police said, in the biggest rally against the government since the military cracked down on violent demonstrations a month ago.
The red-shirted supporters of Thaksin Shinawatra, the fugitive former prime minister, cheered when several leaders who were recently freed on bail after being arrested for inciting the riots appeared on stage. The so-called "Red Shirts" forced the cancellation of an Asian summit last month and then rampaged through the capital, leaving two people dead and 123 injured, prompting current premier Abhisit Vejjajiva to declare emergency rule. Opposition legislator Jatuporn Prompan told the protesters gathered in pouring rain on the outskirts of the city that they would "catch Abhisit's lies", raising a cheer from the crowd. He said they had a video which disproved Abhisit's recent claim that he was in a car which was attacked by protesters during the Bangkok riots, an incident the prime minister said had made him fear for his life.
BANGKOK, May 10 (UPI) -- Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi is dehydrated, has low blood pressure and is being denied adequate medical care, her party said. Suu Kyi, 63, a Nobel Prize winner, was visited by her doctor Friday but he was denied permission to see her Saturday, said Nyan Win, a spokesman for the National League for Democracy of Myanmar, formerly known as Burma.
The doctor was substituting for Suu Kyi's main doctor, Tin Myo Win, who was arrested Thursday on undisclosed charges, CNN reported Sunday. His arrest followed the detention Wednesday of a U.S. citizen who reportedly swam across a lake to Suu Kyi's house, where he stayed for two days.
Suu Kyi has been under house arrest by Myanmar's military junta for 13 of the last 19 years and rarely has been allowed visits from anyone except a doctor. Her detention is scheduled to end May 27, Win said, speaking from Bangkok.
Suu Kyi was placed under house arrest in Yangon, formerly known as Rangoon, after leading protests in Myanmar in 1988.
Posted by: Steve White ||
05/11/2009 00:00 ||
Top|| File under:
A multi-volume chronology and reference guide set detailing three years of the Mexican Drug War between 2010 and 2012.
Rantburg.com and borderlandbeat.com correspondent and author Chris Covert presents his first non-fiction work detailing
the drug and gang related violence in Mexico.
Chris gives us Mexican press dispatches of drug and gang war violence
over three years, presented in a multi volume set intended to chronicle the death, violence and mayhem which has
dominated Mexico for six years.