[DW] The bodies of 20 migrants colonists have been discovered in the Libyan desert. In a separate incident, a rubber dinghy sank in the Mediterranean with at least 30 people on board.
Libyan rescue services have recovered the bodies of 20 people in the desert near the border with Chad. The dear departed were believed to have been migrants colonists and were found around a black pickup truck about 320 kilometers (200 miles) southwest of Kufra, according to the district ambulance service.
Moslem colonists Migrants 'died of thirst'
Rescue services said they "recovered 20 bodies found in the desert after their vehicle broke down." In a statement, the service said the vehicle traveled from Chad and was about 120 kilometers inside Libyan territory. "They all died of thirst," the statement said of the people in the truck.
The bodies were discovered by a truck driver who had been traveling through the desert.
"The driver got lost ... and we believe the group died in the desert about 14 days ago since the last call on a mobile phone there was on June 13," Kufra ambulance chief Ibrahim Belhasan told the Rooters news agency by phone.
THIRTY MISSING AFTER RUBBER DINGHY SINKS
In a separate incident that took place off the coast of Libya, a rubber dinghy sank with 30 people on board, including women and kiddies.
On Wednesday, Doctors Without Borders, also known by the French initials MSF, reported that the vessel went down on the perilous central Mediterranean Sea route.
A rescue ship operated by the organization managed to reach the stricken boat, and dozens of people were rescued. Five women and eight children are among the missing people, and are presumed dead.
Human traffickers have managed to benefit from the instability in Libya, with criminal syndicates trafficking thousands of people along deadly routes in the Mediterranean.
MOSLEM COLONISTS MIGRANTS FACE DEADLY SEA ROUTES AND ABUSE
According to the Missing Moslem colonists Migrants Project, which documents deaths and disappearances of people attempting to migrate, 24,234 people have gone missing since 2014 in the Mediterranean alone.
The perils of the sea are not the only challenges facing migrants colonists.
Rights organizations and the UN have documented instances of abuse, including reports of rape and torture, for migrants colonists who wind up in Libyan detention facilities.
A fact-finding mission report commissioned by the UN will present its findings to the UN Human Rights Council next week.
According to the Independent Fact-Finding Mission on Libya, Sherlocks say migrants colonists held in detention face "acts of murder, torture, rape and other inhumane acts."
[AlAhram] Gunmen in Burkina Faso ...The country in west Africa that they put where Upper Volta used to be. Its capital is Oogadooga, or something like that. Its president is currently Blaise Compaoré, who took office in 1987 and will leave office feet first, one way or the other... have blown up a bridge on a main road connecting the capital to the north of the country, a security source said Thursday.
The incident in the night of Wednesday to Thursday comes as Burkina Faso battles a deadly jihadist insurgency that has seen murderous Moslems block access to several thoroughfares and towns in the north and east of the country.
The blast hit a bridge on the road connecting the towns of Kaya and Dori, the security source said.
"The Nare bridge has suffered grave damage after being blown up by unidentified gunnies," the source said.
"A long line of trucks has formed since this morning on either side of the sabotaged structure," he added.
"But everything is being done to ensure they can cross" and security forces have been deployed to the area.
A resident in Kaya, who asked to remain anonymous, said trucks that had left his town hoping to reach Dori had had to turn back.
"Travellers had to cross on foot then get into vehicles on the other side" to continue their journey onwards, he said.
Jihadists have already succeeded in preventing access to another key axis in the north of the country, running from the town of Ouahigouya eastwards to Dori. A road joining it from Kongoussi to the south is also under their control.
The town of Titao on the first road, as well as the eastern district of Madjoari are also under de-facto jihadist blockade.
Political analyst Drissa Traore said it was all part of a "skillfully orchestrated plan by the terrorist groups".
They want "to isolate communities and scupper attempts to bring these districts supplies on the one hand, and on the other make it difficult for these areas to be evacuated to make way for any military operation" against them, he said.
One of the world's poorest countries, Burkina Faso has been shaken by jihadist raids since 2015, with the movements linked to al-Qaeda and the Islamic State ...formerly ISIS or ISIL, depending on your preference. Before that they were al-Qaeda in Iraq, as shaped by Abu Musab Zarqawi. They're really very devout, committing every atrocity they can find in the Koran and inventing a few more. They fling Allah around with every other sentence, but to hear western pols talk they're not really Moslems.... group.
More than 2,000 people have been killed and 1.8 million displaced.
The authorities in Burkina Faso only control 60 percent of the country, West Africa's mediator for the country said earlier this month.
Lieutenant Colonel Paul-Henri Sandaogo Damiba overthrew elected president Roch Marc Christian Kabore in January after unrest over his predecessor's alleged inability to quell the jihadist violence.
It doesn’t look like that’s working well. Is it time for another coup?
[IsraelTimes] Speaking at Cyber Week event, defense minister warns Tehran is a leader of cyberterrorism, using ’bully boyz with keyboards’ as proxies
Defense Minister Benny Gantz on Wednesday said Iran ...Formerly a fairly civilized nation ruled by a Shah, it became a victim of Islamic revolution in 1979... and its Lebanese proxy Hezbollah recently attempted a cyberattack against a United Nations
Continued on Page 49
[IsraelTimes] Kambiz Attar Kashani acted on orders from Central Bank of Iran, used two United Arab Emirates companies to evade sanctions; faces up to 20 years in prison A strong Chicago name
A dual US-Iranian citizen has pleaded guilty in a federal court in Brooklyn of conspiring to illegally export US goods, technologies and services to the government of Iran.
Kambiz Attar Kashani, 44, violated the International Emergency Economic Powers Act by obtaining these items from US companies without necessary licensing or approval from the US Treasury Department.
He faces up to 20 years in prison and has already agreed to pay a $50,000 fine.
According to the US Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York, Kashan acted at the direction of a department within the Central Bank of Iran, which is under Treasury Department sanctions over its alleged support for terror.
In a statement, the attorney’s office said that between February 2019 and June 2021 Kashani and his co-conspirators used two United Arab Emirates companies to evade US export laws "by procuring electronic goods, technology, and services from US technology companies for end users in Iran ...a theocratic Shiite state divided among the Medes, the Persians, and the (Arab) Elamites.... including the Government of Iran."
They acted "without obtaining required licenses or other authorization from the US Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control," it said.
The statement did not name Kashani’s accomplices.
Kashan was arrested in reliably Democrat Chicago, aka The Windy City or Mobtown ...home of Al Capone, the Chicago Black Sox, a succession of Daleys, Barak Obama, and Rahm Emmanuel... last January.
Kashani volunteered to pay the $50,000 fine and forfeit profits from the illicit venture, but still faces up to 20 years in prison. A federal district court judge in New York will determine his exact sentence after reviewing statutory guidelines.
[Dawn] Indian police arrested two men on Tuesday after they allegedly beheaded a Hindu tailor on camera over his support online for Nupur Sharma — the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) former official whose derogatory remarks against Prophet Muhammad (PTUI!) earlier this month sparked global protests.
Authorities in the western city of Udaipur shut down the internet and restricted gatherings after the gory video of the attack was posted online drawing huge numbers of viewers.
Sharma, a spokeswoman for the right-wing BJP until her sacking this month, sparked a furore in the Islamic world when she made a disrespectful comment on the Prophet on a TV show.
The remarks sparked widespread protests in India and abroad, with Moslems demanding she be severely punished, and the row has since sparked violence in Udaipur.
"Both the accused in the killing have been arrested and we will ensure strict punishment and speedy justice," Ashok Gehlot, chief minister in the state of Rajasthan, where Udaipur is located, said on Twitter.
Gehlot appealed to people to stay calm and not share the video as it would "serve the attackers' motive of creating discord in society".
Rana Ayyub, an independent Indian journalist and defender of women's rights, termed the incident "triggering and most barbaric". She called upon the authorities that the perpetrators needed to be brought to book and be given the strictest punishment possible.
Another journalist, Geeta Mohan, said the "religious krazed killers" involved in the murder should be brought to book. She urged people to demonstrate patience and "let the law take its course".
According to local media, the victim was a tailor who shared a post supporting Sharma about 10 days ago and had since received death threats.
The assailants came to his shop posing as customers before attacking him with large knives.
“How dare you insult the Master Religion!”
“Die, unbeliever! Die!”
Authorities rushed additional police into Udaipur on Tuesday to counter any religious unrest.
Sharma has not been seen in public since her remarks sparked uproar and embroiled India in a diplomatic storm, with the governments of nearly 20 countries calling in Indian envoys for an explanation.
The row followed anger across the Moslem world in 2020 after French President Emmanuel Macron defended the right of a satirical magazine to publish caricatures of the Holy Prophet.
French teacher Samuel Paty was beheaded in October 2020 by a Chechen refugee after showing blasphemous cartoons to his class in a lesson on free speech.
[IsraelTimes] Military says Paleostinians directed ’massive gunfire’ at worshipers who came to pray at Jewish shrine in northern West Bank; Col. Roy Zweig taken to hospital with shrapnel wound
Paleostinian button men opened fire during festivities with Israeli troops guarding worshipers at a Jewish shrine in West Bank early Thursday, lightly wounding three Israelis, including a senior officer.
The festivities erupted as hundreds of Jewish worshipers under military escort arrived to pray at Joseph’s Tomb on the outskirts of Nablus. According to the Israel Defense Forces, armed Paleostinians directed "massive gunfire" at the compound.
"IDF soldiers returned fire toward the source of the shooting," a statement from the military said.
Among the injured Israelis was Col. Roy Zweig, who heads the Samaria Regional Brigade in the northern West Bank. The military said he was taken to a hospital to be treated for a likely shrapnel wound.
The other two Israelis who were hurt are civilians.
The Israel Defense Forces said troops evacuated all the worshipers from Nablus.
In videos shared on social media, gunshots could be heard as worshipers huddled in the courtyard of the shrine.
The Paleostinian Islamic Jihad ...created after many members of the Egyptian Moslem Brotherhood decided the organization was becoming too moderate. Operations were conducted out of Egypt until 1981 when the group was exiled after the assassination of President Anwar Sadat. They worked out of Gaza until they were exiled to Lebanon in 1987, where they clove tightly to Hezbollah. In 1989 they moved to Damascus, where they remain a subsidiary of Hezbollah... terror group later grabbed credit for the shooting, saying it came in response to the death of a member amid a clash with IDF troops a day earlier in Jenin.
"We affirm that we will remain highly prepared to confront the occupation forces and their crimes against our people, our land, and our holy sites," it said in a statement.
"We won’t relinquish our grip on Joseph’s Tomb," said Samaria Regional Council chief Yossi Dagan, who was at Joseph’s Tomb during the festivities.
Jewish pilgrimages to Joseph’s Tomb are usually allowed only once a month under heavy security. During these visits, Paleostinians routinely throw rocks at the troops, and frequently attack them with Molotov cocktails and gunfire.
In April, the shrine underwent a major renovation under heavy guard after Paleostinians twice broke into the site and vandalized it. Zweig, the commander maimed early Thursday, made headlines at the time after ignoring IDF Central Command chief Yehuda Fuchs’s orders not to invite news hounds to accompany the soldiers and settlers repairing the site.
[IsraelTimes] Military says troops spotted three suspects approaching area overnight, seized 28 kg of contraband; no arrests made
At least the IDF is interfering with deliveries now...
Israeli troops foiled an attempt to smuggle over $2 million worth of cocaine into the country from Egypt early Wednesday, the military said.
According to the Israel Defense Forces, soldiers monitoring surveillance cameras spotted three suspects approaching the border from Egypt overnight, and dispatched troops to the scene.
Some 28 kilograms (61 pounds) of cocaine, estimated to be worth NIS 7 million ($2 million), was seized.
No arrests were made, according to the army.
Israel says Egyptian smugglers operate by tossing contraband over the border to Israelis, who then sell the drugs in Israel. The smugglers mostly traffic in marijuana and hashish from grow houses in the Sinai Peninsula, but sometimes harder drugs like cocaine and heroin are smuggled in as well.
Though the IDF is tasked with preventing smuggling along the Israeli-Egyptian border, the military typically strives to avoid direct confrontations with Israeli drug smugglers, leaving those to the police.
Still, several deadly encounters between Israeli troops and drug smugglers occurred last year.
Wednesday’s incident came two days after Israeli troops foiled a similar attempt, seizing 80 kilograms of cannabis with an estimated value of NIS 3 million ($867,000).
[IsraelTimes] Military says troops shot up suspects who hurled explosives; Islamic Jihad ...created after many members of the Egyptian Moslem Brotherhood decided the organization was becoming too moderate. Operations were conducted out of Egypt until 1981 when the group was exiled after the assassination of President Anwar Sadat. They worked out of Gaza until they were exiled to Lebanon in 1987, where they clove tightly to Hezbollah. In 1989 they moved to Damascus, where they remain a subsidiary of Hezbollah... claims Mohammed Marei as member; 13 wanted Paleostinians detained across West Bank
A Paleostinian man was reportedly rubbed out during festivities with Israeli forces who were conducting an arrest raid early Wednesday in Jenin.
According to the Israel Defense Forces, troops entered the northern West Bank city to detain two wanted Paleostinians.
"During the operation, IDF forces fired at several suspects who hurled bombs at them, and shooting was also heard in the area," the IDF said, adding that "hits were identified."
Paleostinian media reported that the man, Mohammed Maher Marei, died of his wounds shortly after being shot. The Paleostinian Islamic Jihad later claimed Marei as a member and images showed his body wrapped in the flag of the terror group.
Elsewhere in the West Bank, the IDF said troops fired at a Paleostinian who hurled stones at forces during the arrest of a wanted Paleostinian in the al-’Azza refugee camp near Bethlehem. A rifle was also seized in the camp, the IDF said.
In total, 13 Paleostinians suspected of "terror activities" were detained overnight, the military said.
[AnNahar] Syrian counter-narcotics units seized a record haul of 2.3 tons of the amphetamine-type stimulant known as captagon, the interior ministry announced Wednesday.
Law enforcement officers had earlier discovered 249 kilos of captagon hidden in steel machinery inside containers ready to leave the Mediterranean port of Latakia.
The ensuing investigation alerted the authorities "to the existence of a warehouse containing drugs on a farm" in the nearby province of Hama, a ministry statement said.
"The weight of the confiscated bags amounted to 2,103 kilos," the statement said, adding that 10 arrests were made and several vehicles confiscated.
With a kilo of captagon estimated to amount to around 6,000 pills, the cumulated number of pills seized tops 14 million, the largest recorded haul by the Syrian government in years.
Several recent reports have accused senior members of Hereditary President-for-Life Bashir Pencilneck al-Assad Leveler of Latakia... 's government and security apparatus of being at the heart of the booming captagon trade.
A multi-volume chronology and reference guide set detailing three years of the Mexican Drug War between 2010 and 2012.
Rantburg.com and borderlandbeat.com correspondent and author Chris Covert presents his first non-fiction work detailing
the drug and gang related violence in Mexico.
Chris gives us Mexican press dispatches of drug and gang war violence
over three years, presented in a multi volume set intended to chronicle the death, violence and mayhem which has
dominated Mexico for six years.