[WASHINGTONPOST] In a case that has generated a political firestorm, a Virginia juvenile court judge found sufficient evidence during a trial Monday to sustain charges that a teen sexually assaulted a classmate in the girls’ bathroom of a Loudoun County high school in May.The teenager, now 15, is also charged with the sexual assault of another student that occurred months later at a different Loudoun school. Loudoun County juvenile court Chief Judge Pamela L. Brooks said she would wait to sentence the teen until that case is decided in November.
The judge’s finding is the juvenile court equivalent of a guilty verdict in other courts.
The case generated local and national attention after the parents of the girl assaulted in May said the charged youth was "gender fluid," prompting renewed backlash against a policy in Loudoun County schools that allows transgender students to use bathrooms that match their gender identity. That policy was adopted after the May assault.
Authorities have not commented on the youth’s gender identity and it did not become an issue Monday in court. During the hearing, the 15-year-old victim in the first case testified she had consensual sexual encounters with the defendant on two occasions in a girls’ bathroom at Stone Bridge High School in Ashburn. On May 28, she said, the two arranged to meet again and the youth threw her to the floor and forced her to perform sex acts.
The case also has sparked anger from parents who have questioned why the teen was allowed to attend another school while awaiting trial in the May assault. It has prompted the head of Loudoun County schools to embark on major reforms to the district’s disciplinary procedures to prevent a similar occurrence.
It also has become an issue in the Virginia governor’s race, where in recent days Republican candidate Glenn Youngkin has called for an investigation of the Loudoun County School Board and demanded more police in schools in response to the incidents.
Clashes broke out at the Barclays Center in New York when anti-vaccine mandate protesters tried to go inside. They’re protesting in support of Kyrie Irving, who is unable to play home games with the Brooklyn Nets because he’s not Covid vaccinated. pic.twitter.com/Abhc7RZCb8
[RT] Three major British museums have backed a report condemning "the growing trend to alter public history and heritage without due process". The report calls for careful consideration before removing statues or renaming streets.
The V&A, Science Museum and Museum of the Home have all lent their names to the paper, written by broadcaster Trevor Phillips and published on Monday by Policy Exchange, a conservative-leaning think tank.
The paper states that, across Britannia, "the alteration of public history is taking place — whether through the removal of statues, the renaming of streets, the re-evaluation of school curricula or the removal of museum exhibits — without a rigorous and non-partisan approach having been taken."
Put simply, Philips argues that the authorities are caving in to the demands of ’woke’ activists, often without asking whether the supposedly offensive statue, monument or street name even needs to be changed in the first place.
This activism was once confined to college campuses — students at Oxford University have been campaigning for the removal of a statue of imperialist conqueror Cecil Rhodes since 2015, for example. However, a good lie finds more believers than a bad truth... the Black Lives Matter protests that went kaboom! across the US following the murder of St. George Floyd ...the patron saint of Minneapolis, a sterling example for our children and indeed for us all. St. George was martyed by the Devil's agents in blue while standing on a street corner preaching tolerance and racial justice or something like that... last year soon spread across the Atlantic, bringing with them new calls to take down ’problematic’ monuments.
Activists toppled a statue of slave trader and philanthropist Sir Edward Colston in Bristol, a Devon council overruled dozens of objections to place a plaque next to a statue of Sir Francis Drake to highlight the 16th-century explorer’s connection to slavery, and London Mayor Sadiq Khan has formed a commission to pore over all the capital’s statues and the names of roads and public spaces to scrub some of them of their troublesome past and rename them in honour of "Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities, women, the LGBTQ+ community and disability groups."
Posted by: Fred ||
10/26/2021 00:00 ||
Top|| File under: Mob Rule
.@oxfamgb, the British global poverty nonprofit that has charity shops across the UK, has removed a children’s game celebrating inspirational women and girls after trans & non-binary staffers complained it wasn't inclusive. https://t.co/FAbTFrJiuZ
[Just The News] A civilian professor at the Air War College in Alabama pleaded guilty Monday for lying to federal investigations concerning his relationship with a Chinese national.
According to the Justice Department, Xiaoming Zhang admitted to prosecutors that he made false and misleading statements when questioned about his relationship with a Chinese official.
The 69-year-old instructor was required to have a security clearance in order to maintain his position at the school on Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, Alabama. In order to obtain that clearance, Zhang was required to divulge any information concerning previous contacts with foreign officials, which he did not.
"Beginning sometime in 2012, Zhang developed a relationship with a known foreign official working with the Shanghai Municipal Government," the DoJ wrote in a statement. "Records indicate that Zhang met with the official in person on approximately six occasions and exchanged approximately 40 emails with him from December 2012 to January 2017.
"At some point during this period, Zhang became aware that the official was using, or attempting to use, their relationship to gain access to sensitive information in Zhang’s possession, as well as to make contact with other potentially valuable individuals." Full DoJ release found at this link.
Direct Translation via Google Translate. Edited.
[KinoNews] Chinese war drama " The Battle of Chosin Reservoir " became the highest grossing film of 2021. As a result of the past weekend, her cumulative box office receipts exceeded $828.1 million, which allowed it to oust from the first place another Chinese-made project, the comedy "Hello, Mom," which finished at one time with $821 million.
It is noteworthy that this outstanding result of the "Battle of the Chosin Reservoir" was achieved almost exclusively at the national box office. The film is set in the early 50s of the last century during the Korean War, when the Chinese armed forces managed to encircle a large group of American troops. Popular actor Hanyu Zhang played one of the key roles .
Note that not a single Hollywood film project, even released worldwide, has managed to compete with blockbusters produced in China.
The most successful American film at the time of this publication was the action movie Fast and Furious 9, which grossed $716 million.
[DAWN] The Supreme Court ...the political football known as The Highest Court in the Land, home of penumbrae and emanations... (SC) directed the Bloody Karachi ...formerly the capital of Pakistain, now merely its most important port and financial center. It is among the largest cities in the world, with a population of 18 million, most of whom hate each other and many of whom are armed and dangerous... commissioner on Monday to demolish Nasla Tower, a 15-storey residential building located at the intersection of Sharae Faisal and Shahrah-e-Quaideen, through "controlled blasting" within a week and submit a report.
The matter was taken up by a three-member bench, headed by Chief Justice of Pakistain (CJP) Gulzar Ahmed and comprising Justice Ijaz-ul-Ahsan and Justice Qazi Muhammad Amin Ahmed, at the SC's Karachi registry, where the city commissioner appeared before the court.
The court further instructed the commissioner to ensure that no harm was caused to other buildings and persons in Nasla Tower's vicinity because of the blast.
It also directed the builder of Nasla Tower to refund money to registered buyers of the residential and commercial units, adding that the city commissioner should ensure that the refunds were made.
The court adjourned the hearing of the case until Tuesday (tomorrow).
A three-judge SC bench, led by Chief Justice of Pakistain Gulzar Ahmed, had initially ordered the demolition of the 15-storey building for encroaching on the land meant for a service road on June 16.
Issuing a detailed order for the same on June 19, the court had also directed the builders of Nasla Tower to refund the amount to the registered buyers of residential and commercial units within three months.
The court had said in its judgement that "After examining the entire record and scrutinizing the reports submitted by all concerned agencies and departments, we are in no manner of doubt that the tower in question (Nasla Tower) has indeed been constructed on encroached land which amongst other things has also blocked a service road."
"Being illegal construction and there being no provision for compounding such illegality specially where a service road has been blocked, the same is liable to be demolished," it had added.
The apex court had also directed the Karachi commissioner to remove all persons from the building and take its possession immediately and initiate and complete the demolition process as expeditiously as possible and submit a report in court.
Later, the builder of Nasla Tower had filed a review petition against the June 16 order, which was dismissed by the apex court last month.
Subsequently, the district administration served notices to the residents of Nasla Tower earlier this month, directing them to vacate the 15-storey building by October 27 or face coercive action by relevant authorities.
Posted by: Fred ||
10/26/2021 00:00 ||
Top|| File under: Govt of Pakistan
As Pakistan is the most corrupt nation on earth, something is missing here. Someone pr some city body was not paid off.
[DAWN] An anti-terrorism court in Bloody Karachi ...formerly the capital of Pakistain, now merely its most important port and financial center. It is among the largest cities in the world, with a population of 18 million, most of whom hate each other and many of whom are armed and dangerous... on Monday handed down death sentence ...the barbaric practice of sentencing a murderer to be punished for as long as his/her/its victim is dead... to two police officials, who were serving as the guard and driver of the former chief of the police’s Anti-Car Lifting Cell (ACLC), for killing teenager Intizar Ahmed in a "planned encounter" in the city's Defence Housing Authority neighbourhood in 2018.The ATC judge found police constables Bilal Rasheed and Mohammad Daniyal, who were then posted as the gunman and driver of ex-ACLC chief (now DIG) Muqaddas Haider, guilty of shooting 19-year-old Intizar to death.
The court also awarded life imprisonment to six other ACLC officials, including then-station house officer Tariq Mehmood, former inspectors Tariq Raheem and Azhar Ahsan, then-head constable Shahid Usman and ex-constables Ghulam Abbas and Fawad Khan.
A seventh accused, Ghulam Abbas — another former head constable, was acquitted for want of evidence.
Intizar, who was studying in Malaysia, had returned to Pakistain for his holidays.
He was travelling in his car with a friend, Madiha Kayani ... four star general, Chief of Army Staff of the Mighty Pak Army. Kayani was the former Director General of ISI... , on January 13, 2018, when coppers in plain clothes chased his car and shot him dead in DHA after he failed to stop the vehicle upon the cops' direction. Kayani had managed to escape the scene unscathed in a rickshaw.
"I am satisfied that the murderers of my son have been awarded the death sentence. It has been proved that both the accused rubbed out my son," Ishtiaq Ahmed, the victim's father, told Dawn.com after hearing the order pronounced by the ATC-VII judge, who conducted the trial at the judicial complex inside the central prison.
"But justice will be fully served when the sentences awarded to the accused are executed," Ahmed added.
A couple of months after Intizar's killing, Kayani in a video statement, which went viral on social media, had appealed to the Rangers and other law enforcement agencies to provide her security.
In July this year, the court had reserved its verdict after recording evidence and final arguments from the defence and prosecution sides.
All the undertrial coppers were indicted on May 15, 2018, for the student's murder. During the trial, the prosecution examined nearly 20 witnesses.
A ballistics expert had confirmed that official weapons of the ACLC personnel were used in the killing.
In their statements, recorded under Section 342 of the Criminal Procedure Code, all the accused had denied the allegations. No, no! Certainly not! against them and claimed innocence.
Intizar’s killing was initially termed an act of assassination by police but after a few days, it transpired that ACLC officials were involved in it.
The investigation officer of the case had initially charge-sheeted nine officials.
The IO had later let off ex-head constable Ghulam Abbas, saying he was not present at the scene of the crime, but the court took cognisance of the matter and also initiated a trial against him.
Posted by: Fred ||
10/26/2021 00:00 ||
Top|| File under: Govt of Pakistan
A multi-volume chronology and reference guide set detailing three years of the Mexican Drug War between 2010 and 2012.
Rantburg.com and borderlandbeat.com correspondent and author Chris Covert presents his first non-fiction work detailing
the drug and gang related violence in Mexico.
Chris gives us Mexican press dispatches of drug and gang war violence
over three years, presented in a multi volume set intended to chronicle the death, violence and mayhem which has
dominated Mexico for six years.