[AlAhram] Three people were found dead and another 10 went missing after their boat capsized off Tunisia during an attempt to reach Europe, the country's coasties said Friday.
"Forty-four people were rescued and 10 are still missing, and we found three bodies," said Houssem Eddine Jebabli, front man for the National Guard of which the coasties forms part.
The migrants colonists, all Tunisians, had set off on Thursday from the coastal region of Sfax with the aim of reaching Italia, he said.
Improving weather in recent weeks has prompted a spike in such attempts.
Tunisian authorities said last Saturday they had rescued 80 men and a woman after they had set out from the Libyan coast.
Both Tunisia and Libya have seen a surge in attempts to reach European shores on the world's deadliest migration route.
The countries are launchpads for such attempts by people fleeing violence and poverty in African nations further south, as well as by growing numbers of their own citizens who attempt the journey due to a long economic crisis in Tunisia and a protracted civil war in Libya.
Many end up in Italia, but many others die or are rescued at sea when their often unseaworthy boats capsize or break down.
In 2021, over 15,000 people reached Italia from Tunisian shores, compared with just under 13,000 the previous year, according to the Tunisian Forum for Economic and Social Rights NGO.
Around 2,000 migrants colonists drowned in the Mediterranean last year, up from 1,400 the previous year, according to the United Nations ...an organization which on balance has done more bad than good, with the good not done well and the bad done thoroughly... .
Still cleaning out the tentacles of the Al Qaeda-linked morass in the Caucases?
[KavkazUzel] Residents of Karachay-Cherkessia and the Stavropol Territory are suspected of participating in the attack of the Basayev and Khattab group on Dagestan in 1999. The detainees - Toymaskhan Adzhinyazov and Kaitarbi Nasyrov, reported in the Investigative Committee. IOW the good ol' days.
The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that the detentions of alleged participants in the group's attack of Shamil Basayev and Khattab on Dagestan in 1999 continue more than 20 years later. On May 16, 2021, the Investigative Committee announced that more than 80 people had been convicted for participating in Basayev’s raid, the criminal prosecution of seven people, including Basayev himself, had been discontinued due to their death, and another 28 people were put on the wanted list.
On December 27, 2021, the Investigative Committee reported that natives of Stavropol Kairbek Bakiev and Ilkhan Kanmurzaev were detained on suspicion of participating in the attack of the Basayev and Khattab group on Dagestan in 1999. In February, Eldar Mashaev , a resident of Stavropol, was detained in connection with a raid on Dagestan .
On August 7, 1999, more than a thousand armed fighters entered Dagestan from Chechnya under the leadership of Shamil Basayev and Jordanian Amir Khattab (also referred to as Emir Khattab). Fighting continued in the republic for more than a month, only on September 15, 1999, Defense Minister Igor Sergeyev announced that the territory of Dagestan was completely liberated from the participants in the attack, according to the "Caucasian Knot" certificate " Invasion of militants into Dagestan (1999)".
The FSB announced today the arrest of two more people suspected of participating in the attack of the Basayev and Khattab group on Dagestan. These are residents of Karachay-Cherkessia and the Stavropol Territory, writes with reference to the Center for Public Relations (TsOS) of the FSB Interfax.
"In the course of work on a criminal case initiated under articles 209 (banditry), 279 (armed rebellion) and 317 (encroachment on the life of a law enforcement officer) of the Russian Criminal Code, an irrefutable evidence base for their participation in the crime was formed," the secret service said.
The Investigative Committee clarified that Toymaskhan Adzhinyazov and Kaitarbi Nasyrov were detained, "currently urgent investigative and other procedural actions are being carried out with them."
[Dawn] A Pakistain Army soldier embraced martyrdom in an improvised bomb (IED) attack in the South Wazoo district, the military said in a statement on Thursday.
The Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said the IED blast targeted the military convoy when it was passing through the Makeen area of the South Waziristan district.
As a result, 39-year-old Havaldar Muhammad Sanwar, a resident of Jhelum, lost his life.
"The area clearance operation is being carried out to eliminate holy warriors in the area," the ISPR added.
Meanwhile, ...back at the dirigible, Jack stuck the cigar in his mouth, stepped onto the gantry, and asked Got a light, Mac?
Von Schtinken stopped short, lowering the dagger and trying to control his features.
If you light that thing, Herr Armschtröng, he pointed out, his voice tense, we all die!... a terrorist was shot full of holes during an intelligence-based operation (IBO) in the Mir Ali area of North Waziristan.
The military's public affairs wing said the security forces faced resistance from holy warriors as they launched the IBO in the area, and resultantly, one terrorist was killed during an exchange of fire.
The slain terrorist was identified as Muhammad Altaf, the ISPR said.
"Weapon and ammunition were also recovered from the terrorist. He was actively involved in terror activities against security forces," the ISPR statement added.
Four days ago, three Pakistain Army soldiers and at least three children were martyred in a suicide kaboom in the vicinity of Miranshah ... headquarters of al-Qaeda in Pakistain and likely location of Ayman al-Zawahiri. The Haqqani network has established a ministate in centered on the town with courts, tax offices and lots of madrassas... , North Waziristan.
In a brief statement, the military had said the intelligence agencies were investigating to find out about [the] jacket wallah and his handlers/controllers.
Later, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif had also condemned the suicide kaboom and expressed grief over the lives lost.
[Dawn] Police claimed to have arrested a terrorist carrying Rs1 million head money here the other day.
According to district police officer Tariq Mehmood Khan, the police launched an intelligence-based operation and arrested wanted terrorist Mujeebur Rehman, a resident of Mirani area of Battagram district.
That’s in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province
He said that the alleged terrorist was wanted to the law enforcement agencies for last 13 years in different cases. He said that the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa government had fixed head money of Rs1 million for his arrest alive or dead.
[Rudaw] Ottoman Turkish helicopters bombarded the vicinity of two villages in Duhok province’s Kani Masi subdistrict Friday afternoon, a local told Rudaw English.
The helicopters targeted the vicinity of Alikhan and Begdada, "with two bombs landing in each of the villages," Hividar Barwari from the former village told Rudaw English late Friday adding that the bombs hit spots located about 700 kilometers from the populated areas.
"Our village has been bombarded several times in the past, causing destruction to the houses," noted Barwari.
The Sick Man of Europe Turkey ...the occupiers of Greek Asia Minor... launched a new phase of its Claw operations against the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) in Kurdistan Region’s Duhok province.
Kani Masi is affiliated to Amedi district which has seen intense fighting between Ottoman Turkish troops and the PKK in recent years. A large number of villages have been evacuated so far.
However, a clean conscience makes a soft pillow... Warshin Salman, mayor of Amedi, told Rudaw’s Soran Hussein late Friday that the latest offensive, code-named Operation Claw-Lock, has not caused the abandonment of any new villages in the district.
More than 500 villages have been emptied in the Kurdistan Region over the course of three decades of the Turkey-PKK conflict.
The rockets landed near the Bastamli and Chardakhli areas in the province's north, with the launchers also found in the same area, according to Tuz Khurmatu mayor Hassan Zain al-Abdin.
Zain al-Abdin said that one of the missiles landed in an area between the Saraya al-Salam militia forces, founded by Shiite holy manMoqtada Tater al-Sadr ...hereditary Iraqi holy man and leader of a political movement in Iraq. He had his hereditary rival, al-Khoei, assassinated only a few hours after the holy rival's appearance out of exile in 2003. Formerly an Iranian catspaw, lately he's gagged over some of their more outlandish antics, then went back to catspawry... , and a PMF force. The whereabouts of the second missile remains unknown.
"The rockets may have just been a message," the mayor said, adding that the security forces have launched an investigation into the attack.
No group has grabbed credit for the attack yet. However, today is that tomorrow you were thinking about yesterday... similar rocket attacks in the country are often attributed to Iranian-backed Iraqi militias.
[IsraelTimes] Massive cache discovered after two Israeli citizens arouse suspicion of security guards at Reihan Crossing
The Defense Ministry announced on Friday that a massive weapons smuggling attempt from Israel into the northern West Bank was thwarted.
According to a ministry statement, two Israeli citizens from the northern region of Wadi Ara arrived at the Israeli side of the Reihan Crossing and aroused the suspicion of Border Crossing Authority security guards there.
After being told to pull over, officers began searching their vehicle, when they found four Israeli ammunition boxes containing some 4,000 5.56mm rounds, which the pair were suspected of intending to smuggle into the West Bank.
Security forces confiscated the ammunition and the two were taken into custody for further questioning.
Ukraine Will have terrible winter , DUH ?! US Quit
aiding Weapons Of Mass Destruction !! Monies As Well !! Moral : BIDEN IGNORES DIPLOMACY : THOUSANDS DEAD !! RIC GRENELL - SEZ : FOX NEWS !! LET'S GO ,
[IsraelTimes] 17-year-old said killed during exchanges of fire between IDF troops and button men; 18-year-old reportedly critically maimed in clash
A Paleostinian teenager was rubbed out by Israeli forces early Saturday during a raid in Jenin in the West Bank, the Paleostinian Authority health ministry said.
The Israel Defense Force had no immediate comment. Hebrew media reported that the teen was shot during exchanges of fire between soldiers and Paleostinian button men.
"A 17-year-old boy was killed, and an 18-year-old was critically maimed by the Israeli occupation’s bullets during its aggression on Jenin," a statement by the health ministry said.
Jenin refugee camp has served as a flashpoint amid recent tensions following a wave of terror attacks in Israel and the West Bank in which 19 people have been killed. Numerous Paleostinians have also been killed, mostly in festivities with Israeli forces.
Thirteen Paleostinians were maimed last week during an operation by Israeli forces in the camp in which one Israeli commando and one Paleostinian were also killed.
[IsraelTimes] The Israel Defense Forces says it shot down a "suspicious" aircraft flying over the Gazoo ...Hellhole adjunct to Israel and Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, inhabited by Gazooks. The place was acquired in the wake of the 1967 War and then presented to Paleostinian control in 2006 by Ariel Sharon, who had entered his dotage. It is currently ruled with an iron fist by Hamaswith about the living conditions you'd expect. It periodically attacks the Hated Zionist Entity whenever Iran needs a ruckus created or the hard boyz get bored, getting thumped by the IDF in return. The ruling turbans then wave the bloody shirt and holler loudly about oppression and disproportionate response... Strip.
The UAV was "monitored throughout the incident" and did not cross into Israeli airspace, the IDF says, adding Iron Dome interceptor missiles were fired at the device over Gaza.
Earlier today the army fired Iron Dome missiles at an Israeli drone over the northern border with Lebanon Hezbollahstan ...The Leb civil war, between 1975 and 1990, lasted a little over 145 years. It produced 120,000 fatalities. The average length of a ceasefire was measured in seconds. That's three statements. Only the first is subjective.... due to mistaken identification. Those missiles missed their target.
[IsraelTimes] Unconfirmed report claims raid targets Damascus International Airport; state media says air defenses intercept most of the missiles, but damage still caused
Three Syrian soldiers were killed after the Israeli military struck targets using surface-to-surface missiles near the Syrian capital of Damascus on Friday night, Syria’s official state media reported.
It was the second alleged Israeli attack in Syria in a week, after Arclight airstrike ...KABOOM!... s last Friday targeted a structure in the country’s northwestern Masyaf region.
A Twitter account tracking Israeli military activity in Syria claimed the strikes targeted sites in the suburb of Sayyidah Zaynab, south of Damascus. Syria’s Sham FM radio station said a fire had ignited near Damascus International Airport, southeast of the city, as a result of the strikes. The claims could not immediately be independently verified.
The strikes came hours after the IDF’s Arabic-language spokesperson accused the son-in-law of assassinated Iran ...a theocratic Shiite state divided among the Medes, the Persians, and the (Arab) Elamites.... Revolutionary Guards Quds Force commander Qassem Soleimani of smuggling weapons from Iran to its Lebanese proxy Hezbollah using civilian flights via Syria.
Avichay Adraee accused Iran and Hezbollah of "endangering civilians" by smuggling the armaments via civilian flights to Damascus International Airport in order "to maintain secrecy."
The state-run broadcaster, SANA, said most of the missiles — launched from the Golan Heights — were intercepted. It did not immediately elaborate on the damage caused to the sites that were hit.
The three killed soldiers were reported to be crewmembers of an air defense system, according to local media reports.
The Syrian military claims to shoot down incoming missiles after nearly every alleged Israeli strike, an assertion Israeli military officials and civilian defense analysts largely dismiss as empty boasts.
SANA released a video claiming to show an air defense missile streaking through the night sky.
There was no immediate comment from the Israel Defense Forces, which does not normally comment on individual strikes.
Israel has carried out hundreds of sorties over Syria in the last decade, mostly to stymie attempts by Iranian forces to transfer weapons or establish a foothold.
In last Friday’s airstrikes, six Syrian soldiers were killed, all crewmembers of an air defense system, according to media reports.
Israeli strikes have continued in Syrian airspace, which is largely controlled by Russia, even as ties with Moscow have deteriorated in recent weeks. Israel has found itself at odds with Russia as it has increasingly supported Ukraine, while seeking to maintain freedom of movement in Syria’s skies.
[IsraelTimes] Tehran and terror group endanger civilians by transporting advanced armaments on civilian flights to Damascus Airport, warns Israeli Army’s Arabic-language spokesperson
The son-in-law of assassinated Iran ...Formerly a fairly civilized nation ruled by a Shah, it became a victim of Islamic revolution in 1979... Revolutionary Guards Quds Force commander Qassem Soleimani is smuggling weapons from Iran to its Lebanese proxy Hezbollah using civilian flights via Syria, the IDF said on Friday, warning that the practice endangers civilians at Damascus airport.
In a series of tweets, the IDF’s Arabic-language front man Avichay Adraee detailed the operation, which he said is overseen by Sayyed Reza Hashim Safi a-Din, who is married to the daughter of Soleimani, who was killed in a US dronezap in January 2020.
Sayyed is the son of Hashim Safi a-Din, head of Hezbollah’s executive council and touted by some in the terror group as a potential heir to its current leader His Eminence Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah ...The satrap of the Medes and the Persians in Leb... "As part of his role, Hashim Safi a-Din monitors Hezbollah’s activities with the Shiite population, communicates with prominent figures in Lebanon Hezbollahstan ...the home of Hezbollah, which periodically starts a war with the Zionist Entity™, gets Beirut pounded to rubble, and then declares victory and has a parade... , and oversees media relations," Adraee wrote.
"His son Reza Safi a-Din is married to the daughter of Qassem Suleimani , and visits Iran several times a month, where his wife lives," Adraee said.
During his time there, he coordinates the smuggling of advanced weaponry to the terror group "using the infrastructure, resources and a network of activists he heads," the spokesperson said.
Adraee accused Iran and Hezbollah of "endangering civilians" by smuggling the armaments via civilian flights to Damascus International Airport in order "to maintain secrecy."
"The Hezbollah terrorist organization exploits the state of Lebanon and its citizens for terrorism that serve Iranian interests," he said, adding that it will continue to monitor the terror group’s "attempts to undermine the security of the State of Israel and will act as necessary for the security of the State of Israel and its citizens."
Israel has long accused Iran of transferring advanced munitions to the Lebanese Hezbollah terror group via Syria.
On Friday, dozens of residents of a village north of Idlib, northwest Syria, took to street against practices of Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, formerly al-Nusra, before that it was called something else ...al-Qaeda's Syrian affiliate, from which sprang the Islamic State... (HTS, formerly al-Nusra ...formally Jabhat an-Nusrah li-Ahli al-Sham (Support Front for the People of the Levant), also known as al-Qaeda in the Levant. They aim to establish a pan-Arab caliphate. Not the same one as the Islamic State, though .. ... Front).
Residents of the village of Deir Hassan called for reopening the battle front and restoring the areas that the Syrian government has recently regained control over.
Protesters denounced the arbitrary arrests by HTS, and they called for the release of detainees, eyewitnesses told North Press.
Since early 2022, protests have been staged in the aforementioned village, demanding the release of detainees held in prisons of the HTS.
The protesters raised banners denouncing the entry of aid convoy to Idlib through the Syrian government-areas, the eyewitness noted.
On May 16, a UN World Food Program (WFP) aid convoy, consisting of 14 trucks, entered Idlib from the government-controlled city of Saraqib.
The HTS was formed in 2017. It controls vast lands in Idlib and Aleppo countryside.
Posted by: Fred ||
05/21/2022 00:00 ||
Top|| File under: Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (al-Nusra)
A multi-volume chronology and reference guide set detailing three years of the Mexican Drug War between 2010 and 2012.
Rantburg.com and borderlandbeat.com correspondent and author Chris Covert presents his first non-fiction work detailing
the drug and gang related violence in Mexico.
Chris gives us Mexican press dispatches of drug and gang war violence
over three years, presented in a multi volume set intended to chronicle the death, violence and mayhem which has
dominated Mexico for six years.