Archived material is restricted to Rantburg regulars and members. If you need access email fred.pruitt=at=gmail.com with your nick to be added to the members list. There is no charge to join Rantburg as a member.
#1 IIRC PACIFICNEWSCENTER [Guam K-57 News] > US SENATE UNANIMOUSLY PASSES RESOLUTION URGING "SELF-RESTRAINT" IN SOUTH CHINA SEA ISSUE.
IIUC, on a SCS Map the UW borders [seafloor] of the Sansha/Sashi is very very v-e-r-y close to the maritime boundaries of the Philippines, Vietnam, and Indonesia save for PNG. The World/Trade-vital Strait of Malaccas can certainly be obtructed by the PLA in a major war iff its new SCS Garrison's mil capabilities is well-developed.
As for the US, AS PER TOPIX + DEFENCE.PK/FORUMS CHINA HAS TOLD IT TO STOP MEDDLING + NOT TO "SEND THE WRONG SIGNALS" VEE THE SCS.
* TOPIX > [Manila Times] POOR PH[Philippines] A BURDEN ON WASHINGTON: STRATFOR ANALYST [Robert Kaplan].
ARTIC = Moreso than its other Regional allies, the US has to help the PHIL "improve its capacity", espec as per its "weak Military + other Public Institutions". HOWEVER, THE PHIL IS ALSO DESCRIBED BY KAPLAN AS "STRATEGICALLY - " AND "GEOPOLITICALLY IMPORTANT" FOR THE US.
* DEFENCE.PK/FORUMS > [Brisbane Times] CHINA REBUKES US ON SOUTH CHINA SEA.
* SAME > POSTER THREAD: RISE OF JAPAN!?, espec iff it acquires Nukes to counter China???
* TOPIX > ANALYSIS: OKINAWA - THE FRONTLINE OF JAPAN'S DEFENSE.
* TOPIX > AUSTRALIA RULES OUT US NUCLEAR AIRCRAFT CARRIER BASE, as well as other USN Nuke-armed vessels.
RELATED > STEPHEN SMITH SAYS "NO" TO US BASE IN AUSTRALIA.
Perhaps GUAM is NOT yet out of the running for a US CVN base or maintenance facilitiy iff our Island Govt. plays its cards right - COULD BE GUAM'S LAST CHANCE TO SALVAGE SOMETHING FROM THE EVER-SHRINKING OKINAWA BUILDUP???
Posted by JosephMendiola 2012-08-06 00:38||
#2 WAFF > BEIJING ATTACKS US "TROUBLEMAKING", in SOuth China Sea.
* SAME > PROTESTS IN VIETNAM AS ANGER OVER CHINA'S "BULLYING" GROWS. Viets angry at China survey of energy, resource blocs in Vietnam-claimed territorial waters.
* TOPIX, CHINESE MILITARY FORUM > BEIJING TELLS US TO "SHUT UP" OVER SOUTH CHINA SEA TENSIONS | CHINA MEDIA TELLS US ....
* TOPIX > [Vice-FM Fu Ying] CHINA TELLS US: LEAVE SOUTH CHINA SEA ISSUES TO CLAIMANTS.
ARTIC > VFM FU YING = SCS disputes are not between China + ASEAN as a body, but between China + individual ASEAN countries to which the US must stay out.
* SAME > NODA MARCHES ON AS [Regional = MilPol] TEMPERATURES RISE, e.g. Okinawa.
* SAME > JAPAN NEEDS STRATEGY FOR NORTHERN CLAIMS [Kuriles].
* WORLD MIL FORUM > EXPERTS: CHINA'S ESTABLISHMENT OF THREE SANSHA/SASHI IN SOUTH CHINA SEA BOON FOR UNICJ + INTERNATIONAL LAW.
ENFORCEMENT OF DIPLOMATIC NEGOTIATIONS [forcing] AMONG ASEAN STATES TO SETTLE LONG-STANDING TERRITORIAL/SOVERIEGNTY DISPUTES E.G. INDONESIA, MALAYSIA, + SINGAPORE OVER BAIJAO REEF.
Posted by JosephMendiola 2012-08-06 23:13||