2017-05-29 Britain||Further arrests made by police investigating Manchester atrocity
[Telegraph] A crackdown on the suspected terror network behind Manchester Arena suicide bomber Salman Abedi saw police carry out a flurry of armed raids and arrests over the weekend.|
Gun-carrying officers swooped on sites across the city as they worked to stamp out any lingering threat from co-conspirators to Monday's massacre.
The total number of people in custody over the attack rose to 13 when a 19-year-old man was detained during a search of a house in the Gorton area of the city late on Sunday.
With the intense series of police operations showing no signs of abating:
On Sunday, counter-terror officers stormed addresses in Gorton, Rusholme and Moss Side.
- A 25-year-old man was held on suspicion of terror offences in the Old Trafford district.
- Thousands of runners turned out defiantly for the Great Manchester Run, pounding the streets of the city amid a heightened security operation.
- The NHS said 54 people injured in the attack were still being treated in eight hospitals with 19 receiving critical care.
- Home Secretary Amber Rudd revealed temporary exclusion orders, banning suspected jihadis from returning to the UK, had been used for the first time.
CCTV stills of Abedi, bespectacled and casually clothed, were released by police in a plea for information about his movements between May 18 and the attack.
Explosions were reported at several of the searches, but police would not comment on whether controlled blasts were used to gain entry.
Three people were arrested - and quickly de-arrested - during the afternoon's operation at Quantock Street, Moss Side, leading them to post an outraged sign on their front door. It read: "This is what the police has caused and we have nothing to do with what happened in the bombing attack".
One Moss Side resident, who did not want to be named, said a group of young Middle Eastern men moved into the address around six months ago.
"There's a group of them knocking about with each other - they're from the Middle East," he added.
"A couple of them dress in the traditional Muslim robes.
"There was always a lot of coming and going in and out of that building.
"Every time I've been outside my flat there's someone there or a group of them sitting outside in a car."
Manchester bomber's younger brother 'was planning an attack on the UN's special envoy to Libya'
[DailyMail] Reports claim that Hashem Abedi, 20, had plotted to assassinate Martin Kobler, the head of the UN Support Mission in Libya, during a visit to Tripoli
...a confusing city, one end of which is located in Lebanon and the other end of which is the capital of Libya. Its chief distinction is being mentioned in the Marine Hymn...
earlier this year. The terrorist cell were thought to be in the later stages of the plan, but it was foiled before it could be executed. The Islamic Lion of Islam group had been monitored for some months by Libyan security services who believe the younger Abedi brother is a 'significant player'.
|Posted by trailing wife 2017-05-29 00:00||
Front Page|| [700 views ]
File under: Islamic State
Posted by Jeasing Creque5352 2017-05-29 21:37||
01:19 Thorong Grundy1520
00:56 Canuckistan sniper
00:37 Alaska Paul
|Rantburg was assembled from recycled algorithms in the United States of America. No
trees were destroyed in the production of this weblog. We did hurt some, though. Sorry.