"Hello, this is Miss Monroe in 305. Could you please send a boy over to Rexall? I'm running awfully low on tan line. Also, my phone seems to be out of order and I'm ever so tired of shouting like this..."
WOMEN PROTESTORS CONTINUE TO BE ROUNDED UP – Reports coming out of Herat, Kabul, and Balkh Provinces indicate that the Taliban are continuing to arrest primarily women and girls who are participating in protest marches against the violence at education centers, which the Taliban refer to as ‘acts against the state’. Videos of the arrests, footage from within jails, and clips from university campuses have circulated widely on social media. One protest in Mazar-i-Sharif seemed to catch the Taliban by surprise and attracted several hundred protestors, but the Taliban soon cracked down, dispersing the marches and arresting several women.
THIRD BLAST ROCKS KABUL MONDAY – Another blast has been reported in Kabul near the Pul-e-Sukhta neighborhood (Shahid Mazari Road) in western Kabul. Casualties have been reported, but it is not clear how many may have been killed/injured or who/what may have been targeted in the attack. No groups have claimed any of the bombings over the past 5 days, but the areas have been a frequent target of ISIS-K in the past and they are suspected in all three attacks.
DEPUTY PM IN BADAKHSHAN – As tensions in Badakhshan province continue to escalate, the Taliban dispatched Deputy Prime Minister Mawlawi Abdul Kabir to meet with elders and local leaders. Taliban-controlled media portrayed the visit as routine, but previous cases have shown that a senior official's visit is often followed by violence.
POLICE UNIFORMS ISSUED IN KUNDUZ – Over the last year, a major complaint among Afghan citizens has been the inability to identify Taliban security forces. Some citizens have claimed that criminals will pose as Taliban along pedestrian routes and roads and demand bribes to allow people to pass. Others have reported incidences of sexual harassment. The Taliban have slowly attempted to rectify the situation, and Kunduz is thought to be the fifth Province where police uniforms are being issued.
LATEST BEGGAR ROUNDUP NUMBERS FOR KABUL – The Deputy Minister for Economic Affairs released a report on Monday claiming that 10,150 beggars had been questioned in the city by the end of September. Of those 10,150:
7,029 were women and 2,436 were determined to be in need
834 were men and 294 were determined to be in need
2,287 were children and 1,245 were determined to be in need
Biometrics were taken, and the Taliban said those who had been assessed as ‘in need’ were referred to the Ministry of Labor for education and job training. They were also promised a monthly stipend while they are in these programs. Nothing is known about the remaining 6,175 who were accused of ‘professional begging’.
CONFLICT TRACKER Badakhshan: The NRF has captured Shekay district, taking the district governor prisoner along with an undisclosed number of Taliban security fighters. Casualties have been reported but a firm number was not a available.
NEXT 24 HOURS
POSSIBLE RETALIATION IN BADAKHSHAN – The recent large-scale reinforcement operations and high-level visits clearly illustrate that the Taliban are concerned about the situation in Badakhshan province. With the recent capture of the Shekay District and the visiting Taliban leadership, it is a near certainty that the Taliban will attempt to retake the area. At least 500 fighters were sent to the province, but without a firm grasp of where the fighters are situated, it is impossible to say where conflict could occur. At-risk Afghans in the province should be aware of significant motorized troop traffic and the potential for reprisals against the local populace.
[France24] The U.S. military said it killed a leader of the Islamist militant al-Shabaab group with an air strike in Somalia over the weekend, while the insurgents claimed responsibility for a new attack.
Somalia's government said the leader was one of the co-founders of the al-Qaeda-linked movement that has killed tens of thousands of people in bombings since 2006.
It named him as Abdullahi Nadir, al-Shabaab's chief prosecutor, who it said had been in line to replace the group's ailing leader, Ahmed Diriye. There was no immediate comment on the strike from al-Shabaab.
Nadir's "death is a thorn removed from the Somali nation," Somalia's information ministry said.
"The government is grateful to the Somali people and international friends whose cooperation facilitated the killing of this leader who was an enemy of the Somali nation."
The U.S. Africa Command said it carried out the air strike near Jilib, about 370 km (230 miles) southwest in the capital Mogadishu on Saturday.
[Garowe] A top al-Shabaab ...... the Islamic version of the old Somali warlord... commander was on Saturday, 1st October killed in an operation instigated by the Somali National Army [SNA with the support of international partners, in the latest crackdown against the al-Qaeda-affiliated group.
Abdulkadir Nadir, who has been in a hideout, was killed by the military officers with the assistance of the foreign forces believed to be Americans, in what has been described as a huge success by top military officials in the country.
The commander, whom the US government had placed a $3 million bounty on his head, was killed around the Haramka area in Middle Jubba where the gunnies have been predominant in the last couple of years. The operation took place on 1st October according to those in the know-how.
Somali National Army with the assistance of the US Africa Command, ATMIS, and the local militia has been fighting al-Shabaab, making tremendous gains according to officials. The military has been able to recapture several towns in the southern part of the country in recent weeks.
Nadir, the Ex-Ashabaab finance head was first in line to replace current emir Abu Ubaidah, who is also wanted by the US government. Ubaidah has been in charge since 2015 after the death of Ahmed Godan, who was killed in a US-sponsored Arclight airstrike ...KABOOM!... in central Somalia.
The al-Shabaab gunnies have been fighting to overthrow the fragile UN-backed federal government of Somalia, but President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud has insisted that the group will be completely deflated in the coming months thus the ongoing operation across the country.
Recently, the United States also pledged to support the current administration of Hassan Sheikh Mohamud in fighting al-Shabaab. Already, the US has redeployed over 500 elite soldiers who are working closely with the Danab Special forces in the war against the holy warriors.
WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT ABDULLAHI NADIR?
"This leader... was the head preacher of the group and one of the most notorious members of the Shabab group," the ministry statement said.
"He was former head of the Shura council and the group's director for finances," the ministry said. The Shura council is a consultation group within al-Shabab.
According to the ministry, Nadir was a co-founder of the group and was next in line for leadership. Al-Shabab's current leader, Ahmed Diriye, is sick.
Abdullahi Nadir, a top leader of #Alshabab terrorists, wanted by Somali government for long time has been killed in operation conducted by Somali National Army and international security partners in Haramka village in Middle Jubba region, on 01-10-2022.#Somaliahttps://t.co/yJsfQL6Wts
[Garowe] Three explosions rocked Beledweyne city in central Somalia on Monday, leaving at least 15 people dead among them a regional minister, an incident which comes a few days after the al-Shabaab ...... the personification of Somali state failure... claimed the killing of a senior police commander near Mogadishu.
The first two blasts were caused by three boom-mobiles targeting Lama-Galay military base, killing at least ten people, including HirShabelle regional health minister Dr. Zakariye Mohammed Ahmed Hurre and deputy Hiran governor Abukar Madey.
The third explosion was reported at the city's hospital while treating the wounds of the first bombing. The number of casualties is yet to be confirmed.
The attacks happened amid an offensive against the al-Shabaab faceless myrmidons in the Hiran region. Despite losing ground, the group is dominant in central and southern Somalia.
An amateur video taken from the site showed smoke bellowing in the town as residents scampered for their safety. There has been a crackdown against al-Shabaab faceless myrmidons in the Horn of Africa nation, with Somalia's national army working closely with foreign troops to dismantle the group.
Al-Shabaab has taken responsibility for the earth-shattering kabooms, which caused damage to the city. Beledweyne city is found in HirShabelle state in central Somalia and is prone to raids. In March this year, a jacket wallah killed several people, including MP Amina Abdi.
Hiran province Governor Ali Jayte Osman told state media that he was saddened by the attack, noting that at least four people died in the early morning explosion. The governor has been among those fighting the faceless myrmidons by encouraging locals to take arms against Death Eaters.
[IsraelTimes] Military says suspects accelerated toward soldiers searching for terror suspect in Jalazone refuge camp; 16 wanted Paleostinians detained overnight
Israeli troops shot two Paleostinians dead near Ramallah in the predawn hours of Monday after the pair attempted to run over troops during an arrest raid in the area, the military said.
According to the Israel Defense Forces, while troops were operating in the Jalazone refugee camp in an attempt to arrest a terror suspect, a vehicle began to accelerate toward them.
"During the activity, a ramming attack was attempted against the forces, who responded by firing and neutralized the two suspects," the IDF said.
No soldiers were hurt in the incident.
The Paleostinian Authority health ministry said it was notified of the deaths, but did not yet know the identities of the men. Some Hebrew-language media reports said a third suspect in the car was also maimed.
In arrest raids across the West Bank early Monday, 16 wanted Paleostinians were arrested, the IDF said.
ICYMI: Classes have been suspended and moved online at #Iran’s leading technology university in #Tehran after clashes erupted overnight between students and security forces, local media say.https://t.co/Bk6loY505S
A multi-volume chronology and reference guide set detailing three years of the Mexican Drug War between 2010 and 2012.
Rantburg.com and borderlandbeat.com correspondent and author Chris Covert presents his first non-fiction work detailing
the drug and gang related violence in Mexico.
Chris gives us Mexican press dispatches of drug and gang war violence
over three years, presented in a multi volume set intended to chronicle the death, violence and mayhem which has
dominated Mexico for six years.