[ToloNews] Seven prisoners beat feet from a jail in Gardez city, the capital of the province, on Sunday, the governor's office said.
Abdullah Hasrat, governor front man, said that only seven prisoners beat feet from the jail, rejecting an earlier claim by a source who told TOLOnews that as many as 23 inmates had escaped.
Of the seven, three were placed in durance vile Please don't kill me! for Taliban ...the Pashtun equivalent of men... activity, one for treason, one for fraud, one for murder and one for liquidation, said Hasrat.
A nice selection of BadMen now struggling through the winter snow.
He said the prisoners escaped after breaking the jail’s mosque window, and efforts are underway to recapture them.
Investigations have also begun into apparent negligence among the prison staff, Hasrat said.
[PRESSTV] Somalia’s Takfiri ...an adherent of takfir wal hijra, an offshoot of Salafism that regards everybody who doesn't agree with them as apostates who must be killed... al-Shabaab ...... al-Qaeda's tentacle in East Africa... forces of Evil have killed three teachers and maimed a child in an attack on a primary school in eastern Kenya, police say.
The turbans attacked the settlement of Kamuthe in Garissa County near Kenya’s border with Somalia on Monday, according to a police report.
They killed three teachers, kidnapped another and maimed a child by a stray bullet during a raid on the Kamuthe primary school.
Police said the forces of Evil also burned down a cop shoppe and destroyed a telecommunications mast.
The al-Qaeda-linked group has not yet grabbed credit for the attack, but it has been involved in militancy in Somalia and neighboring countries, Kenya and Uganda, for more than a decade.
Last week, they killed four schoolchildren in a shootout with Garissa local police. The attackers targeted a telecommunications mast in that assault as well.
Posted by: Fred ||
01/14/2020 00:00 ||
Top|| File under: al-Shabaab (AQ)
[Libya Observer] The Head of the Libyan Presidential Council Fayez al-Sarraj and his delegation have signed a ceasefire agreement at indirect peace talks in Moscow on Monday, while Khalifa Haftar ...Self-proclaimed Field Marshal, served in the Libyan army under Muammar Qadaffy, and took part in the coup that brought Qadaffy to power in 1969. He became a prisoner of war in Chad in 1987. While held prisoner, he and his fellow officers formed a group hoping to overthrow Qadaffy, so it's kind of hard to describe him as a Qadaffy holdover. He was released around 1990 in a deal with the United States government and spent nearly two decades in the United States, gaining US citizenship. In 1993, while living in the United States, he was convicted in absentia of crimes against the Jamahiriya and sentenced to death. Haftar held a senior position in the anti-Qadaffy forces in the 2011 Libyan Civil War. In 2014 he was commander of the Libyan Army when the General National Congress (GNC) refused to give up power in accordance with its term of office. Haftar launched a campaign against the GNC and its Islamic fundamentalist allies. His campaign allowed elections to take place to replace the GNC, but then developed into a civil war. Guess you can't win them all... and his delegation agreed on it but pushed the signing till Tuesday morning, according to a presser for Ottoman Turkish and Russian Foreign Ministers following the talks.
During the talks that lasted about eight hours, mediators Russia and The Sick Man of Europe Turkey ...the occupiers of Greek Asia Minor... urged the Libyan rivals to sign a binding truce to end a nine-month-old war that was initiated by Haftar's forces.
"Today we can report that some progress was made," Sergey Lavrov told news hounds at the 19th century Moscow mansion where the talks were held.
While Cavusoglu told news hounds Haftar wanted to have until Tuesday morning to make up his mind.
Russia's TASS news agency reported that al-Sarraj had refused to engage in direct talks with Haftar, forcing Russian and Ottoman Turkish diplomats to act as go-betweens.
The Moscow talks come after a ceasefire, initiated by Turkey and Russia, saw a lull in heavy fighting and air strikes on Sunday.
Posted by: Fred ||
01/14/2020 00:00 ||
Top|| File under: Arab Spring
Niger's army chief Gen Ahmed Mohamed has been sacked, four days after militant Islamists killed 89 soldiers in an assault on a military base, inflicting the biggest loss on the military in a single day.
Gen Mohamed's dismissal, along with that of three other top officers, was announced by state radio following a meeting of the cabinet.
Gen Mohamed's tenure of more than two years has been marked by a sharp increase in attacks by militants linked to al-Qaeda and the Islamic State (IS) group.
He has been replaced by Maj Gen Salifou Modi.
Niger declared three days of mourning following Thursday's killing of the 89 soldiers at Chinegodar camp in the western Tillaberi region.
Last month, 71 soldiers were killed in an attack on the Inates camp in the same region.
Niger's President Mahamadou Issoufou is currently in France with the leaders of four other former French colonies hit by the insurgency in the Sahel.
At the start of the summit hosted by French President Emmanuel Macron in Pau, southern France, the leaders laid wreaths in honour of French soldiers killed in action in Mali last month.
Mr Macron has demanded that the Sahel leaders use the summit to reiterate their support for the 4,000-strong French military force there, which has been criticised amid the mounting insecurity.
The leaders of Chad, Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso and Mauritania are at the meeting.
[BREITBART] Mexican authorities are in a state of high alert over an intelligence alert from U.S. authorities warning about a possible jacket wallah traveling north with a group of four others. Breitbart published a redacted copy of the initial intelligence report from U.S. Border Patrol.
Earlier this week, Breitbart published an exclusive copy of the leaked official document from a source operating under the umbrella of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The document, prepared by an intelligence unit within U.S. Border Patrol, quoted information Border Patrol officials received from ICE Homeland Security Investigations about four men and a woman. The woman is a suspected suicide bomber who traveled through Central America into Mexico and is reportedly headed to the U.S.-Mexico border just south of where Caliphornia, an impregnable bastion of the Democratic Party, and Arizona meet. The area is knows as named San Luis Rio Colorado. The group is expected to cross into California through the All-American Canal "in the coming days."
Posted by: Fred ||
01/14/2020 00:00 ||
Top|| File under: Moslem Colonists
Spent some time there in the early 2000's as we had a maquiladora making parts for our company in San Diego.
There is a significant respiratory health hazard what with many dirt roads in/around the city.
A bunch of great Chinese restaurants though.
[IsraelTimes] A French judge convicts a Moslem man of a hate crime, after the man last year assaulted a Jewish optician at the victim’s shop while shouting about Allah.
The perpetrator, Sliman Ouaki, on October 4 assaulted the owner of the Optiocal Center shop in Toulon near Marseille while shouting "Allah hu akbar," Arabic for "Allah is the greatest," the BNVCA watchdog on anti-Semitism reported last week.
Ouaki targeted the shop owner, who was not named, because he had a mezuzah on the front door, the report said.
The victim sustained minor injuries and was unable to work for two days due to his injuries, the report said.
The Correctional Tribunal of Toulon convicted Ouaki of a physical assault aggravated by racist hatred and sentenced Ouaki to prison. It also imposed on him penalties as compensation for the victim. The report did not specify the penalties. The maximum prison term prescribed in the French penal code for the offense is three years. The maximum fine is nearly $50,000.
BNVCA has often criticized French courts for being too lax on perpetrators of anti-Semitic hate crimes but it lauded the Toulon court for its "firmness and fairness" in the ruling, whose first part was handed down on October 11.
The defendant last month exhausted his right to appeal.
[GMA News] A Top Moro National Liberation Front commander survived, but his driver was killed in a gun attack on Saturday afternoon in Cotabato's Matalam town in Mindanao.
An initial police investigation found that MNLF political affairs officer and Barangay Ilian chairman Kutin Idtug, 67, and two other companions were attacked by at least ten armed men in Barangay Marbel, also in Matalam town. Attackers hiding behind sugarcane plants suddenly emerged and opened fire at Idtug's vehicle when it passed by their position.
Matalam police chief Joseph Brian Placer said the driver and two others passengers died from multiple gunshot wounds. Idtug also sustained gunshot wounds but he is now stable at the hospital.
[Bangkok Post] A defense volunteer was killed during an attack at a military base and a suspected militant was gunned down in a subsequent clash in Sukhirin district late Sunday morning.
A number of men armed with assault weapons and M79 granade launchers attacked the operation base of tambon Rom Sai's protection unit. A team of volunteers was manning the base. The volunteers fought back and Anuwat Kordeh was killed during the clash. Seven other volunteers were also hurt.
Col Watcharakorn , deputy spokesman of the forward unit of the Internal Security Operations Command's Fourth Region,
Air and land patrols were later launched to round up the perpetrators, resulting in a series of clashes, said military spokesman Watcharakorn Oanngern told a briefing on Monday.
"We found blood traces at a scene on the hill behind the base. A hundred meters from there, we found two perpertrators who fired at security officials and an exchange of gunfire ensued. After the gunfire ended, one of the men, Abdulhadi Abudao, 29, was killed. He had two warrants on him. The other man fled and took the dead man's gun," he said.
Col Watcharakorn said authorities believe the attack was orchestrated by a militant group led by Sorlae Maseng, which is active in the district.
[Aljazeera] Iran's judiciary has announced the arrests of an unspecified number of suspects in the accidental downing of a commercial passenger jet during a major confrontation with the United States last week.
In comments carried by state media, spokesman Gholamhossein Esmaili said on Tuesday that "extensive investigations have taken place and some individuals are arrested". He did not offer additional details.
Wednesday's downing of the Ukrainian airliner, en route to Kyiv from Tehran, killed all 176 passengers and crew on board. It happened just hours after Iran launched missile attacks on US targets in Iraq in retaliation for the US assassination of top Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani in Baghdad on January 3.
After days of denials, Iran on Saturday admitted that its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) had shot down the plane in a "disastrous mistake", saying air defences were fired in error while on alert after the attacks against two Iraqi bases hosting US troops.
US President Donald Trump had previously threatened to strike 52 targets within Iran if Tehran targeted US citizens or assets following Soleimani's killing.
Iran's delayed acknowledgement of the shootdown triggered small protests in Tehran and elsewhere, with hundreds of people taking to the streets to direct their ire towards senior officials, including Supreme Leader Ali Hosseini Khamenei, amid allegations of being misled.
Videos posted on social media that could not be independently verified appeared to show security forces firing live ammunition and tear gas to disperse protesters. The government has denied a cover-up and police rejected reports that it had opened fire at demonstrators.
Confirmation bias. They were expecting to see incoming bombers, so they interpreted everything they saw to fit their pre-existing idea.
The fact that it was an airliner using a flightpath from a busy airport didn't make it through to anyone. They were just so ready to defend Iran. And the commanders weren't in command, otherwise they'd have had to get authorization before launch.
We'll see if they just scapegoat the trigger pullers or actually go after the chain of command.
Posted by: Herb McCoy ||
01/14/2020 7:45 Comments ||
The son of a leader of Iran’s opposition Green movement has been arrested, two days after his father called on Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, to step down over the handling of the shooting down of the Ukrainian plane.https://t.co/416Tq4LvTe
A multi-volume chronology and reference guide set detailing three years of the Mexican Drug War between 2010 and 2012.
Rantburg.com and borderlandbeat.com correspondent and author Chris Covert presents his first non-fiction work detailing
the drug and gang related violence in Mexico.
Chris gives us Mexican press dispatches of drug and gang war violence
over three years, presented in a multi volume set intended to chronicle the death, violence and mayhem which has
dominated Mexico for six years.