[NYPOST] A wiseguy’s son paid more than $200,000 to have his dad whacked in a McDonald’s drive-thru in The Bronx ‐ and also ordered a botched hit on his own brother, federal authorities in Brooklyn said Tuesday.
Anthony Zottola Sr. , 41, potentially faces a death sentence ...the barbaric practice of sentencing a murderer to be punished for as long as his/her/its victim is dead... for the alleged patricide of reputed Bonanno crime family associate Sylvester "Sally Daz" Zottola, 71, who was bumped off while waiting for a take-out cup of coffee last year.
Anthony’s stunning indictment followed the arrests of several reputed Bloods street gang members, including ex-con Bushawn "Shelz" Shelton, who Anthony is accused of hiring to organize the Oct. 4 rub-out.
Court papers say that Anthony began scheming against his dad more than a year before the liquidation, which capped a "series of violent attacks and attempts on his life" and that of Anthony’s older brother.
Salvatore Zottola, 42, was shot and critically maimed outside the family’s sprawling waterfront compound in Locust Point on July 11, during what the feds have previously described as an attempt to "lure out" his dad.
Anthony was charged with murder-for-hire conspiracy, unlawful use and possession of firearms and causing death through use of a firearm.
Prosecutors allege that text messages Anthony sent Shelton, 35, are proof of his "position at the helm of this sinister plot."
One particularly chilling text shows the two men communicating in movie-style code on Nov. 26, 2017, about 45 minutes after Sylvester narrowly escaped death when his car was forced over by a dark van and a man in a mask got out and pointed a gun at him, the feds said.
Authorities later found the van, with the mask inside, and used DNA testing to tie it to Shelton, court papers say.
(CNN) Climate change may lead to unlikely illnesses in unexpected places, new research suggests: In the past two years, five cases of Vibrio vulnificus, a flesh-eating bacterial infection spread by handling or eating contaminated seafood, have been tied to Delaware Bay, where water temperatures have been on the rise in recent years, according to a study.
Five cases in 2 years - is that an increase, a decline, business as usual? Journalists seem to lack any sense of curiosity.
Note the word 'Possible' in the article headline. And this nice quote buried N paragraphs deep: "hard to say this is all due to climate change -- although it very well could be." A lot of stuff is possible but how likely is it?
(CNN)The fabric of America is crumbling. The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) gives the nation's infrastructure a D+ grade -- that's the roads and bridges we drive on every day, the airports we use for business and vacation travel, and the schools where we send our children to learn. And newer networks critical to modern life, like broadband internet, haven't even reached many areas yet.
President Donald Trump declared at his inauguration, "We will build new roads, and highways, and bridges, and airports, and tunnels, and railways all across our wonderful nation." At least seven times, his White House has declared that the chosen theme of a week would be infrastructure, but each time the issue has become lost in other events, often generated by the President himself.
Money -- whether through taxes, tolls or private investment -- is the only way to fix the problem. The ASCE says $4.6 trillion is needed for improvements in the next decade. The Democrats said they and Trump had agreed on a $2 trillion price tag for an infrastructure plan -- which would only be part of a national solution that could also include state, local and private action -- but precious little has been achieved.
I was going to make a similar observation that, like various media attacks against Trump, this theme's in the rotation / playbook every year, like the flea-flicker and the naked bootleg. Sometimes it works, more often it doesn't.
As a retired ASCE member, allow me to point out that a lot of infrastructure spending passes through Civil Engineers.
If we somehow found enough cash to get the grades up to "A", there wouldn't be enough civil engineers to design and build the projects. Plus I am pretty sure the 'goalposts' would've moved by then. I suppose I am cynical.
I'm an ASCE member, and the guy in charge of our local bridge building/integrity/maintenance. I got called to the Grand Jury after the report card came out a couple years ago and they were worried about the grade our State's bridges got. I assured them that none were in immediate danger of collapse, or anywhere near. They asked why the grade was so low and ASCE demanding more funding. I let them know that that was one of the reasons why I was a dues-paying member, and if they didn't ask for more funding I wouldn't be a member much longer. Meeting over.
Posted by: Frank G ||
06/19/2019 9:33 Comments ||
Frank! That's even more cynical than me! Keepitup!
as I recall the long term trend in highway bridges is a decrease in the number that are structurally deficient and an increase in the number that are functionally obsolescent (typically because they aren't wide enough or don't have enough lanes)
Posted by: lord garth ||
06/19/2019 15:49 Comments ||
The new ASSHTO rating criteria has eliminated the Functionally Obsolete criteria in the Sufficiency Rating as that skewed the results against older bridges that didn't have current standard widths, sidewalks, bike lanes, etc., that have been added on for vociferous constituencies. Currently they are all being rated under the LRFD criteria, which is a big chore. Structurally Deficient is the big driver now for priority work/$. Our bridges are inspected bi-annually by the State DOT SM&I crews with "snooper" trucks that articulate underside and around members
Posted by: Frank G ||
06/19/2019 19:01 Comments ||
A crime-ridden city like St. Louis hardly needs fewer policemen able to do their jobs. This will do nothing to stem the population losses in the city. It will just make the already safer suburbs even more attractive.
[Al Jazeera] Hundreds of thousands of people have been forced from their homes in northeastern areas of the Democratic Republic of the Congo ...formerly the Congo Free State, Belgian Congo, Zaire, and who knows what else, not to be confused with the Brazzaville Congo aka Republic of Congo, which is much smaller and much more (for Africa) stable. DRC gave the world Patrice Lumumba and Joseph Mobutu, followed by years of tedious civil war. Its principle industry seems to be the production of corpses. With a population of about 74 million it has lots of raw material... (DRC) in the past two weeks, escaping a wave of resurgent inter-ethnic violence that killed more than 160 people, including babies and young children hacked to death.
The United Nations ...an organization which on balance has done more bad than good, with the good not done well and the bad done thoroughly... refugee agency (UNHCR) on Tuesday expressed deep alarm over the flare-up in violence in the DRC's Ituri province, which it said had seen "multiple attacks" involving the Hema and Lendu groups since early June.
Speaking to Al Jazeera from the Swiss city of Geneva, UNHCR front man Babar Baloch said the violence had forced more than 300,000 "desperate people" to flee their homes.
"People have been coming in with horrifying tales of how violence has been unleashed against them," he said, warning that the figure of those displaced was likely to be higher.
The cause of the latest flare-up was not immediately clear, but it occurred in a region where tens of thousands died in festivities between the Hema and Lendu between 1999 and 2003.
Attacks between the two communities had also displaced some 350,000 in late 2017 and early 2018, killing about 300 people before a tenuous calm took hold.
But last week, four Lendu traders were killed in attacks the Lendu blamed on the Hema, which locals say sparked off the latest violence.
[Metro] A sex doll business owner offers a special bereavement service for those suffering from loneliness, whereby she’ll create a replica of their dead partner. Mum-of-four Jade Stanley, 35, launched Sex Doll Official in 2018, a company which sells customisable dolls designed for different purposes.
Speaking on This Morning with hosts Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield, Jade, who was joined by sex doll Amelia, opened up about one service they offer where they create a replica of deceased partners. Asked if she had people ask for a doll of their dead partner, Jade said: ’Yes I’ve actually had it. Loneliness is a massive issue in the UK and I think one of the most surprising aspects of this industry for me, is really it’s not all seedy and sexual. It really isn’t.
’I’ve had lots of customers who genuinely come to me and they want a doll for comfort purposes only. I think that’s fantastic. I think in that case I’m fulfilling my job by providing comfort to somebody in their time of need.
You're a little late Dron. Several female adult stars have already marketed full size 'doll' replicas as all too often seen in British Sun features linked numerous times by Drudge. Insert I'm So Ronery here?
[ENGLISH.ALARABIYA.NET] Boris Johnson, the frontrunner to replace British Prime Minister Theresa May, won the most votes cast in the second round of voting for Conservative Party leader on Tuesday, with four other candidates also getting through.
Johnson, a former London mayor, and foreign minister won 126 votes, with Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt in second place on 46 votes and environment minister Michael Gove third with 41 votes.
The international development minister Rory Stewart was fourth on 37 votes and the interior minister Sajid Javid was fifth on 33 votes.
One candidate ‐ former Brexit minister Dominic Raab ‐ was eliminated after he failed to receive the required minimum of 33 votes.
Now the remaining candidates will face further votes to whittle down the contest to two when Conservative members will decide who will become the leader and Britannia’s next prime minister.
I don't think there's any real conservative leader in the UK that will deliver brexit, put the islamists back in their place or even fulfill their oath of protecting British citizens from colonists. They're all the same brand of liar.
"Insofar as my words have given offence over the last 20 or 30 years and people have taken those words out of my articles and escalated them, then of course I'm sorry for the offence that they have caused,” said Mr Johnson, previously foreign secretary and mayor of London.
He was keen to emphasise that his great-grandfather, Ali Kemal, was a Muslim.
Mustapha Ali Kemal Bey, an Ottoman politician who became a liberal journalist and later was a leading member of the Ottoman Freedom and Accord Party. He fell foul of the Sultan Mehmed V (yechh!) and fled to England. Kemal returned to the Ottoman a widower (His first wife was Winifred Brun) and married the daughter of an Ottoman pasha. After Kemal's brutal murder at the hands of Ottoman thug Nureddin pasha, Kemal's son and daughter living in England adopted their maternal grandmother's maiden name of Johnson. His son Osman became 'Wilfred Johnson' and later married Irene Williams of Kent. Their son was Stanley Johnson, member (EUP) and father of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.
Rowan Atkinson defends Boris Johnson over burka comments. Rowan Atkinson has defended Boris Johnson over his comments on women wearing burkas and said the former Foreign Secretary's remarks were funny.
Mr Johnson is facing an investigation and could be disciplined by Conservative party bosses after saying women in burkas looked like 'letterboxes' and 'bank robbers'.
The anti-Brexit crowd has taken Billy Jeff Cigar's mantra to heart "Then we've just got to win." If they go all out to sink Boris before he becomes PM that tells you all you have to know. If they let him become PM, that tells you all you have to know.
Posted by: M. Murcek ||
06/19/2019 11:49 Comments ||
[NY Post] Four people – three Russians and one Ukrainian – will face murder charges in the downing of a Malaysia Airlines plane in eastern Ukraine in which 298 people were killed in 2014, officials said Wednesday.
Russian nationals Igor Girkin, Sergey Dubinskiy and Oleg Pulatov, as well as Ukrainian Leonid Kharchenko, will be prosecuted in the Netherlands, with a trial due to start in March 2020, according to the Dutch-led probe.
"Today we will send out international arrest warrants for the first suspects that we will prosecute. They will also be placed on national and international wanted lists," Dutch police chief Wilbert Paulissen told a press conference.
Flight MH17 was en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur on July 17, 2014, when it was blown apart after being hit by a missile over territory in eastern Ukraine held by pro-Russian separatists, according to investigators.
Dutch prosecutor Fred Westerbeke said they were the "four who will be held accountable for bringing the deadly weapon, the BUK Telar, into eastern Ukraine."
The four suspects are likely to be tried in absentia as Russia does not allow its nationals to be extradited for prosecution. Investigators said Kharchenko's whereabouts were currently unknown.
Last year, the same investigation team said the BUK anti-aircraft missile that struck the Boeing 777 had originated from the 53rd Russian military brigade based in Russia's southwestern city of Kursk.
Girkin, a former colonel of Russia's FSB spy service, was minister of defense in the Moscow-backed Donetsk People's Republic. He was the commander of the DNR when the flight was shot down, according to The Guardian.
Dubinksy, who is employed by Russia's GRU military intelligence agency, served as Girkin's deputy in the DNR, officials said.
Pulatov, a former soldier with the GRU's special forces spetsnaz unit, was Dubinsky's deputy, they said. And Kharchenko, who led a military combat unit in the city of Donetsk, was under their command.
Investigators said the soldiers "formed a chain linking DNR with the Russian Federation," enabling the separatists to get heavy equipment from Russia including the Buk launcher used to fire at the Malaysian plane with "terrible consequences."
The four suspects did not push the button themselves but were responsible for bringing the missile system to eastern Ukraine, therefore they can be held criminally liable, investigators said.
Posted by: Frank G ||
06/19/2019 08:59 ||
Top|| File under: Commies
Meanwhile, the investigative internet site Bellingcat on Wednesday published new details of people allegedly involved in the shootdown of MH17.
They include Girkin and about a dozen other military commanders and separatist fighters, some of whom are Russian and tied to Moscow’s military spy agency, the GRU.
Bellingcat claims the military intelligence wing of the Donetsk People’s Republic – the GRU DNR — was “instrumental” in procuring the BUK launcher and in arranging its transport to Ukraine from Russia, then back to Russian territory.
Posted by: Frank G ||
06/19/2019 9:04 Comments ||
It's your human right to fly on a commercial flight through a combat zone defended by AA missiles. Who didn't get the memo?
Posted by: M. Murcek ||
06/19/2019 10:30 Comments ||
China’s top film regulator was merged with the ruling Communist party’s propaganda department last year, a move that several film industry executives said had resulted in a tightening of China’s already restrictive film censorship.
FT dot COM is not friendly to article or content quoting so head to the title link at FT to see their form of their content.
PARIS (AP) ‐ Many World Cup teammates have special bonds. The tie that binds U.S. defender Ali Krieger and American goalkeeper Ashlyn Harris is among the strongest at the tournament.
They got engaged last year and are planning a December wedding.
"A lot of our teammates with their partners and spouses, they don’t get to be here day in and day out," Krieger said. "It’s really nice to be able to share this moment with her and to make these memories with her."
They announced their engagement in People magazine in March, revealing Harris proposed on the beach in Clearwater, Florida, during a picnic last Sept. 15 and surprised Krieger with a ring.
"She is what makes me. She is my life. She is the person I am spending the rest of my life with," Harris said. "Or at least a couple years, ya know"
They first met in 2010, a time both were training with the national team. They were teammates with the Washington Spirit of the National Women’s Soccer League for much of 2013-15. Harris was left unprotected in an expansion draft and was taken by the Orlando Pride, and Krieger joined her when she was traded to the Pride after the 2016 season.
Had to sit in a room where a womens' soccer game was on recently. Some of the US players are very scary looking, some are palatable. Pretty much all of the other countries' players are frightening to look at.
Posted by: M. Murcek ||
06/19/2019 9:50 Comments ||
...wait till the trans start showing up. Then again, it might be hard to detect.
Data from 2014, the most recent year that a county level breakdown is available, shows us that 54% of counties (containing 11% of the population) had zero murders. 69% of counties had no more than one murder, and held about 20% of the population. These counties account for only 4% of all murders in the country.
The worst 1% of counties have 19% of the population and 37% of the murders. The worst 5% of counties contain 47% of the population and account for 68% of murders. The study shows more than half of all murders occurred in just 2% of counties nationwide.
@SpaceX has updated the droneship FCC filings for STP-2. OCISLY will be stationed approximately 1240km (!!) downrange from KSC. This will be *even further* than Arabsat's center core landing (which was only 967km).
Falcon Heavy's 3rd launch, set for takeoff June 24 from the Kennedy Space Center, will carry 24 spacecraft to three distinct orbits over a mission lasting several hours. 3700 kg total mass for the payload stack uses up most of the Falcon Heavy's performance, no ballast on-board. http://t.co/zuVKomgONq
A multi-volume chronology and reference guide set detailing three years of the Mexican Drug War between 2010 and 2012.
Rantburg.com and borderlandbeat.com correspondent and author Chris Covert presents his first non-fiction work detailing
the drug and gang related violence in Mexico.
Chris gives us Mexican press dispatches of drug and gang war violence
over three years, presented in a multi volume set intended to chronicle the death, violence and mayhem which has
dominated Mexico for six years.