Posted by: M. Murcek ||
03/12/2020 16:52 Comments ||
"Drink up! It'll open your pores,
And close up those horrible doors.
A gal who won't drink?
Why, it makes a guy think!
Have I mentioned I'm not wearing drawers?"
"Yes, Tallulah, several times, dear. Hurry up or you'll be late for class."
"All right, Sister Mary Hildegard."
"And no more getting Eugenia drunk! She's not clever like you."
[The Hill] The Department of Justice (DOJ) and Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) announced Wednesday that more than 600 arrests have been made as a result of an interagency operation cracking down on Mexican cartel activity.
"Project Python," a DEA-led initiative, targeted members of Cártel de Jalisco Nueva Generación (CJNG). According to the DEA, over the last six months federal law enforcement officials have been monitoring the activities of the accused.
The operation resulted in more than 600 arrests nationwide, 350 indictments and "significant seizures of money and drugs," according to the agencies.
"Project Python marks the most comprehensive action to date in the Department of Justice's campaign to disrupt, dismantle, and ultimately destroy CJNG," Assistant Attorney General Brian A. Benczkowski said in a statement.
Benczkowski cited an executive order President Trump passed shortly after Trump was inaugurated in 2017 that condemned cartel operations in the U.S. and directed federal law enforcement to use the Threat Mitigation Working Group, which was put in place by the Obama administration in 2011.
"When President Trump signed an Executive Order prioritizing the dismantlement of transnational criminal organizations, the Department of Justice answered the call and took direct aim at CJNG. We deemed CJNG one of the highest-priority transnational organized crime threats we face," he said. "And with Project Python, we are delivering results in the face of that threat for the American people."
According to the DOJ, CJNG is active in major U.S. cities such as Los Angeles, New York City, Chicago, Houston and Atlanta.
The DOJ and DEA also announced a superseding indictment Wednesday on charges of alleged continuing criminal enterprise against Nemesio Ruben Oseguera Cervantes, also known as "El Mencho," the leader of CJNG.
Last month Oseguera Cervantes's son was extradited from Mexico to the U.S. to be served drug trafficking charges. Two weeks ago, on Feb. 26, his daughter was arrested by federal officials for financial crimes.
Posted by: Frank G ||
03/12/2020 00:00 ||
Top|| File under: Narcos
[APNEWS] A police shooting that maimed a suspect during a foot chase in Raleigh, North Carolina, sparked protests early Wednesday from hundreds who demanded answers and burned a flag outside the governor’s mansion.
Police Chief Cassandra Deck-Brown said officers responded to a 911 call Tuesday evening reporting a man with a gun near a shopping center in eastern Raleigh. She said arriving officers spotted a person matching the caller’s description, later identified as 26-year-old Javier Torres.
Torres ran and was chased by officers who repeatedly ordered him to stop and drop the gun, Deck-Brown said. Torres was shot in the abdomen by an officer who had joined the chase, the chief said, adding that the suspect was running directly toward that officer and would not drop his gun. The extent of Torres’ injuries was not immediately known.
Wake County District Attorney Lorrin Freeman said in an email Wednesday that Torres remained in hospital care but could not elaborate on his condition.
A handgun, as described by the 911 caller, was located at the scene of the shooting, police said. No officers were maimed.
Deck-Brown said the officer who fired the shot was wearing a body camera, as were others at the scene. At her direction, the department asked a judge to release the footage, and the judge approved their request. Police spokespeople did not immediately respond to an email asking how the video would be released.
The State Bureau of Investigation is also probing the shooting.
Deck-Brown addressed news hounds at an early-morning news conference, saying she wanted to "address some misinformation that is circulating on social media" about Torres’ age and the circumstances of the shooting.
"The body-worn camera footage will show that some of those statements were inaccurate," she said, adding: "As a result of the reckless and false information that has been spread on social media, a number of spontaneous protests occurred during the night which resulted in minor damage to property in and around the downtown area."
Footage from news outlets showed that a large crowd gathered and began street protests that continued into early Wednesday, moving to the police chief’s home, where people demanded she come outside, and the governor’s mansion, where a U.S. flag was taken and later burned in the street. WRAL-TV footage showed a flag burning in the street near the governor’s mansion and an empty flagpole in front of the residence.
"Whose streets? Our Streets!" demonstrators chanted, as lines of protesters and police faced off in places around the state capital.
Community activist Kerwin Pittman said he spoke to witnesses after the shooting, and they told him Torres was unarmed, something the police chief later denied. Similar witness accounts saying the suspect also appeared to be a teenager had circulated on social media.
"Witnesses say Javier Torres did not have a gun. They say he was carrying a pizza box," Pittman told The News Agency that Dare Not be Named by phone early Wednesday morning.
"The city is fed up," Pittman said. "We feel there is always something happening with the Raleigh Police Department. We feel like they are brutalizing us," he added.
He said the protests would continue in a community that has long sought police transparency but faced an uphill battle.
Rolanda Byrd, whose 24-year-old son, Akiel Denkins was shot by Raleigh police while running from an officer in 2016, said before the police chief’s news conference that she should come out to meet with protesters: "She needs to be out here to support her black community, right now, tonight."
[Hurriyet Daily News] A member of Soddy Arabia ...a kingdom taking up the bulk of the Arabian peninsula. Its primary economic activity involves exporting oil and soaking Islamic rubes on the annual hajj pilgrimage. The country supports a large number of princes in whatcha might call princely splendor. When the oil runs out the rest of the world is going to kick sand in the Soddy national face... 's Council of Allegiance was reportedly arrested in a wave of sweeping dentitions prompted by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ...Crown Prince and modernizer of Saudi Arabia as of 2016. The Turks hate him, so he must be all right, despite the occasional brutal murder of Qatar-owned journalists... , according to an online news outlet.
London-based Middle East Eye (MEE) identified the person arrested as Prince Mohammed bin Saad Al Saud, the son of Saad bin Abdulaziz, the late brother of incumbent King Salman ...either the largest species of Pacific salmon or the current Sheikh of the Burnin' Sands, Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques and Lord of Most of the Arabians... bin Abdulaziz.
Formed by the late King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz in December 2007, the influential Council of Allegiance has a major role in determining the next prince to take the Saudi throne.
MEE reported on March 8 that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman arrested a number of princes from the royal family on March 6 in a move aimed at taking the throne before the upcoming G20 Summit in November in the capital of Riyadh.
Although there is no official statement regarding the number arrested, top royal family members told MEE at least 20 members of the family have been arrested.
They include Saudi princes are King Abdulaziz's younger brother, Prince Ahmed bin Abdulaziz and his son Nayef bin Ahmed, as well as former Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef.
Posted by: Fred ||
03/12/2020 00:00 ||
Top|| File under: Govt of Saudi Arabia
In August 2009, Mohammed bin Nayef was informed that a Saudi militant with ties to Al Qaeda wanted to turn himself in. He sent his plane to pick him up. Subsequently, on 27 August 2009, the man was brought to the prince’s home in Jeddah. Within a few feet of the prince he detonated a bomb in his body cavity. The explosion, killed the young man instantly, heavily injured the prince. According to sources close to him, some of the shrapnel could not be removed from Muhammad’s body and he continues to suffer great pain. To alleviate the pain, he started taking drugs like morphine, which soon became a habit.
I remember reading about that here at Rantburg at the time. A relative of Al Qaeda in Arabia’s top bomb-maker, as I recall. I’d had the impression that the detonation was a tad premature, but it appears i was wrong. TATP was the explosive, I believe, which is touchy stuff.
First info vague, more overnight, I'm sure
[ABC] Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Iranian-backed Shia militias were responsible.
The U.S. military conducted arclights airstrikes in various locations inside Iraq on Thursday in retaliation for a recent rocket attack that killed two American service members and one British service member and wounded 14 others, according to two U.S. officials, one of whom characterized the strikes as being carried out in self defense.
It was unclear what targets were being struck by U.S. military aircraft, but earlier in the day, senior Pentagon officials had blamed Iranian-backed Shia militia groups for Wednesday's attack on Camp Taji in Iraq.
"Yesterday's attack by Iranian-backed Shia militia groups consisted of multiple indirect fires that originated form a stationary platform and was clearly targeting coalition and partner forces on Camp Taji," Defense Secretary Mark Esper told reporters on Thursday. "But let me be clear, the United States will not tolerate attacks against our people our interests or our allies."
Esper continued, "All options are on the table as we work with our partners to bring the perpetrators to justice and maintain deterrence."
Posted by: Frank G ||
03/12/2020 18:50 ||
Top|| File under: Govt of Iran Proxies
Fox News: The Pentagon released a statement following the strikes, confirming that they were conducted in response to the rocket attacks on Wednesday.
"Earlier this evening, the United States conducted defensive precision strikes against Kata’ib Hizbollah (KH) facilities across Iraq," the Defense Department said. "These strikes targeted five weapon storage facilities to significantly degrade their ability to conduct future attacks against Operation Inherent Resolve (OIR) coalition forces. These weapons storage facilities include facilities that housed weapons used to target U.S. and coalition troops."
"These strikes were defensive, proportional, and in direct response to the threat posed by Iranian-backed Shia militia groups (SMG) who continue to attack bases hosting OIR coalition forces," the Pentagon added.
Defense Secretary Mark Esper said: “The United States will not tolerate attacks against our people, our interests, or our allies. As we have demonstrated in recent months, we will take any action necessary to protect our forces in Iraq and the region."
The U.S. has two aircraft carriers in the region: USS Harry S Truman in the Arabian Sea and USS Dwight D Eisenhower in the Red Sea. But these strikes did not involve Tomahawk cruise missiles, Fox News is told, just multiple aircraft, but it is not clear what jets were used and from which bases they launched.
Posted by: Frank G ||
03/12/2020 20:16 Comments ||
We really need to conduct an old-fashioned ARCLIGHT strike on one of these groups, just to teach them what it CAN be like if we really get pissed. These "proportional" strikes do not present us as the ultimate strong horse, which we truly need to do.
Posted by: Old Patriot ||
03/12/2020 23:58 Comments ||
[Fox News] Two Americans and one Briton were killed as approximately 18 Katyusha rockets hit an Iraqi base housing U.S. troops Wednesday, the U.S. military said in a statement.
The attack came just days after two U.S. service members were killed by enemy forces while advising and accompanying Iraqi Security Forces during a mission to eliminate an ISIS terrorist stronghold in a mountainous area of north-central Iraq on Sunday.
The U.S. military could not confirm who was responsible for Wednesday's attack but one source told Fox News that "ISIS doesn't have this capability."
"The Coalition @CJTFOIR confirms more than 15 small rockets impacted Iraq's Camp Taji base hosting Coalition troops, March 11 at 7:35 p.m. (Iraq Time)," Operation Inherent Resolve (OIR) spokesperson Col. Myles Caggins wrote on Twitter.
Iraqi Security Forces found a rocket-rigged truck a few miles from Camp Taji, which hosts Coalition personnel for training and advising missions, according to a statement from U.S. Central Command.
The Camp Taji attack was under investigation by the Coalition and Iraqi Security Forces, U.S. Central Command said.
At least 12 personnel were wounded during the attack, the statement added.
The attack was the largest on a U.S. base in Iraq since Iran fired ballistic missiles at bases housing U.S. troops in early January.
Posted by: Seeking Cure For Ignorance ||
03/12/2020 06:50 ||
Top|| File under: Islamic Defenders Front
Posted by: Fred ||
03/12/2020 00:00 ||
Top|| File under: Govt of Iran Proxies
Asa’ib Ahl al-Haq is an Iran funded Shiite militant organization. It split off from the Mahdi Army in 2006. The group is funded by Iran and promotes Iran’s interests in Iraq. It targeted U.S. troops prior to the U.S. withdrawal from Iraq in 2011 after which point it became a political organization. Since the rise of IS in 2013, the AAH has fought alongside the Iraq gov against IS. In 2017 it became a member of the Fatah coalition in the Iraqi government and won 14 seats in the Iraqi Parliament.
“This is very serious,” an official said adding that eighteen 107 mm rockets landed on the #Taji base fired from a launcher capable of firing 30. Many of the rockets did not work the official said. #Iraq#Iran
A multi-volume chronology and reference guide set detailing three years of the Mexican Drug War between 2010 and 2012.
Rantburg.com and borderlandbeat.com correspondent and author Chris Covert presents his first non-fiction work detailing
the drug and gang related violence in Mexico.
Chris gives us Mexican press dispatches of drug and gang war violence
over three years, presented in a multi volume set intended to chronicle the death, violence and mayhem which has
dominated Mexico for six years.