[ToloNews] Sources within the Afghan government and the Taliban ...the Pashtun equivalent of men... said an "unannounced ceasefire" has been in place since May 27 and will remain in effect for the next several days, but reports indicate that the three festivities occurred in Zabul, Farah and Parwan over the last 24 hours.
The Eid ceasefire--from May 24 to May 26-- was announced by the Taliban and reciprocated by the Afghan government, and, according to figures provided by the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission, civilian casualties dropped by 80 percent.
There were reports of two security incidents in each of the three days of Eid, which was significantly less than recent averages.
According to the AIHRC, before the ceasefire, up to 30 Afghans were killed and maimed as a result of war and violence in the country on a daily basis.
Zabul in the south, Farah in the west and Parwan in the center of Afghanistan have witnessed festivities between government forces and the Taliban in the last 24 hours, according to officials and local sources.
Meanwhile, ...back at the pond, the enormous newt was trying to decide if Gloria was edible... the Taliban has claimed that an Arclight airstrike ...KABOOM!... by Afghan forces in Zabul has claimed civilians’ lives.
A former Taliban commander, Sayed Akbar Agha, said the group announced the Eid ceasefire on it's own, it was not part of "an agreement."
Siahgerd district in Parwan witnessed Taliban attacks on Wednesday evening that continued until Thursday morning, according to the provincial governor’s spokesperson Wahida Shahkar.
"The Taliban attacked the local army’s outpost in Siahgerd district at 2am and seven members of the local army were martyred and two of them were taken by the Taliban and one of them was maimed," she said.
According to Dadullah Qane, a member of the Farah Provincial Council, the Taliban attacked the northern parts of the city of Farah on Wednesday evening.
"Any side who intentionally attacks civilians is disrespecting their countrymen," Qane said.
But the north of the country has faced no clash in the last five days, according to security officials.
"Fortunately, there wasn’t any movement in the areas under Shaheen 209's responsibility and the ceasefire has been observed so far," said Mohammad Haneef Rezaee, a front man for Shaheen 209 Corps.
The Taliban's Saturday night announcement of an Eid ceasefire prompted President Ashraf Ghani ...former chancellor of Kabul University, now president of Afghanistan. Before returning to Afghanistan in 2002 he was a scholar of political science and anthropology. He worked at the World Bank working on international development assistance. As Finance Minister of Afghanistan between July 2002 and December 2004, he led Afghanistan's attempted economic recovery until the Karzais stole all the money... on Sunday to pledge the release of 2,000 Taliban prisoners for Eid.
The US-Taliban agreement calls for 5,000 Taliban detainees to be released by the Afghan government, and 1,000 security force members to be released by the Taliban.
900 Taliban prisoners were released since the Eid ceasefire was called, and more releases are planned.
On Thursday night the Taliban released 80 members of Afghan forces in Baghlan and Kunduz, said Suhail Shaheen, a front man of the group.
[ToloNews] "At least seven Afghan forces were killed and one was wounded after the Taliban attacked a security checkpoint in northern Parwan province on Wednesday night," said Wahida Shahkar, a spokeswoman for the provincial governor.
The Taliban attacked the security checkpoint In Seyagerd district and clashed with Afghan security forces, according to Shahkar.
“The Taliban also suffered casualties but there is no exact information about the number,” she said.
In the meantime, a security source said that at least 10 security forces were killed, and “the Taliban torched the bodies.”
[RADIOSHABELLE] Somali National Army (SNA) on Tuesday killed seven al-Shabaab ...... the personification of Somali state failure... gunnies in an operation in the central region of Hiran, a military commander said.
Mohamud Hassan Ibrahim, commander of SNA’s 22 Unit section 27, told news hounds that government forces conducted an operation inflicting casualties on the hard boys.
The commander said the operation was a planned one, aiming at destroying the terrorist group.
The last incident came barely a day after Jubaland forces killed four al-Shabaab gunnies in an intense clash in Dhobley town in the country’s southern region of Lower Juba.
Posted by: Fred ||
05/29/2020 00:00 ||
Top|| File under: al-Shabaab (AQ)
[RADIOSHABELLE] A bigwig with Somali police force was among two killed in a car kaboom in Mogadishu, the Somali capital on Thursday morning, local authorities said.Abdishakur Hussein, the police officer, and another occupant bit the dust after an improvised bomb concealed in their car went off around Muna hotel.
Al-Shabaab ...... the personification of Somali state failure... has immediately grabbed credit for the attack, which becomes the third of its kind in the capital within this month. Gen Ali Gaab escaped two similar attacks.
Mogadishu has been relatively calm in the past as the police stepped up measures to avert the frequent al-Shabaab boom-mobiles in the seaside capital that hosts the government.
Posted by: Fred ||
05/29/2020 00:00 ||
Top|| File under: al-Shabaab (AQ)
[Dhaka Tribune] Twenty-six Bangladeshis are among the 30 migrants colonists killed by the family of a Libyan people trafficker in Dire Revenge for his death. Libya's internationally recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) said in a statement on Thursday that the attack took place in the town of Mizda, reports Rooters.
Life lesson: Don’t go to Libya to be trafficked to Europe. The Turkey route is probably safer.
Bangladesh officials said that they were trying to get in touch with its mission in Tripoli ...a confusing city, one end of which is located in Lebanon and the other end of which is the capital of Libya. Its chief distinction is being mentioned in the Marine Hymn... "We are trying to contact with the labour counselor [in Libya] to get the details. It seems they were kidnapped before the killing," Joint Secretary Nasreen Jahan of the expatriates’ welfare ministry told the Dhaka Tribune.
The GNA interior ministry said in a statement that 26 Bangladeshi and four African migrants colonists had been killed and that 11 injured survivors were taken to a hospital in Zintan, according to the Rooters report.
Posted by: Fred ||
05/29/2020 00:00 ||
Top|| File under: Human Trafficking
Bangladesh is one of the world’s largest exporters of manpower. The U.N. migration agency estimates there are 24,000 Bangladeshi migrants in Libya - the largest number of people from Asia and 4% of the entire migrant population.
According to the publication, the Turkish military transport aircraft C-130 (Hercules) have been recently monitored making their way to the North African country .
It is reported that these planes are transporting military equipment and fighters from the Syrian opposition factions to Libya.
It also landed at the Libyan city of Misrata, which has become the main receiving point for arms shipments from Turkey and Qatar.
As the military expert Yuri Liamin notes, based on the published data at the “Russian Weapons” portal, transport planes flew in the mode of switching off the transmitters and receivers, and they denied the Turkish Air Force flights.
As is well known, Turkey has deployed its forces to the Misrata area, along with its MIM-23 Hawk anti-aircraft missile systems.
Killed by the #LNA military official (Abu al-King al-Jasem) was born in April 1973 and a resident of Homs Syria. Field commander of the "Sultan Suleiman Shaah Brigade" loyal to #Turkey He came to #Libya in December 2019 to fight for the expired #GNA for $ 2,000 pic.twitter.com/dTfVsysMZ5
[ALMASDARNEWS] The pro-government Yemen ...an area of the Arabian Peninsula sometimes mistaken for a country. It is populated by more antagonistic tribes and factions than you can keep track of... i media the fate of the Minister of Defense Muhammad al-Muqdashi, Chief of Staff Saghir Aziz, and a number of senior army leaders after a missile attack targeted the "Sahn al-Jin" camp in the Marib Governorate.
A local official outlet said the Ansarallah group targeted the camp with a ballistic missile, resulting in a powerful blast at a meeting with high-ranking defense officials.
The report confirmed the death of several soldiers, including one of the sons of the chief of the General Staff, and a nephew of him, both of whom are officers, and wounding others.
The Ansarallah forces have not yet grabbed credit for the attack, while no official statement has been issued by the pro-government Ministry of Defense either.
The Saudi-backed Minister of Defense had previously escaped a similar attack that targeted the headquarters of the ministry in Marib Governorate last year.
The government army forces control most parts of Marib Governorate, while the Ansarallah forces control one of the governorates’ districts near the administrative capital.
The Ansarallah forces are now preparing for a major attack on this governorate, as they attempt to fully expel the pro-government troops from northwestern Yemen.
[Dhaka Tribune] A consignment of heroin was recovered from two baby food and daily essentials parcels of a courier service from Dhaka.
The Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) seized the parcels of heroin weighing 1.6kg and worth Tk2 crore.
Besides, two persons, Soibur Rahman, 32, and Nazma Akter, 28, were detained in Dhaka on Thursday afternoon in connection with the incident.
RAB-2 Superintendent of Police Muhammed Mohiuddin Faruqe said the duo had been living in Dhaka’s Ashulia area, passing themselves off as a married couple, despite the fact that they were not married to each other.
[Rudaw] Four people guarding a power transmission tower in Daquq, south of Kirkuk, ... a thick stew of Arabs, Turkmen, Kurds, and probably Antarcticans, all of them mutually hostile most of the time... were kidnapped by unidentified button men on Wednesday, according to local officials, who believe they are being held to extort money from their families.
Among those kidnapped is Dilan Mofq, a 23-year-old ethnic Kurd and teaching graduate, who was working as a guard for a monthly salary of 250,000 dinars ($205).
His father, Mofaq Rashid, says the kidnappers have called him asking for a $150,000 ransom in return for his son’s release.
"During Eid [al-Fitr], he [Dilan] went back to work. I asked him not to go, but he said he had to," Rashid told Rudaw on Thursday.
"At 12am [on Wednesday], their boss called me saying there is a roaring of cycle of violences in the region, let them remain vigilant. I therefore called my son warning him of the movements. He replied; ’dad, we are awake’," he said.
"After a few minutes, I called him back, but he never replied. During the daylight, we went to the spot where we found that they along their weapons and cycle of violences had been kidnapped," he added.
No group has grabbed credit for the abduction nor did the families specifically accuse Islamic State ...formerly ISIS or ISIL, depending on your preference. Before that they were al-Qaeda in Iraq, as shaped by Abu Musab Zarqawi. They're really very devout, committing every atrocity they can find in the Koran and inventing a few more. They fling Allah around with every other sentence, but to hear western pols talk they're not really Moslems.... (ISIS) faceless myrmidons of taking their sons.
ISIS faceless myrmidons have relied heavily on kidnap and ransom to obtain money, regularly establishing fake checkpoints. The fate of many civilians kidnapped by the group remains unknown.
Residents of Daquq have repeatedly called on Baghdad to send troops to secure the district against ISIS remnants operating in the area.
Rashid says they are trying to trace the whereabouts of their sons through tribal leaders and other social figures.
He said the kidnappers already warned them that they must not inform security forces if they pay the ransom for the release of their sons.
According to data Rudaw’s Hiwa Hussamedin received from Daquq local authorities, unidentified button men in the region have kidnapped 12 people in the past month alone.
Ramazan Talabani, the chieftain of Yangija village, says they have previously been able to secure the release of kidnapped individuals by paying ransoms.
"When the Iraqi Federal Police were here, five workers at a petrol station were kidnapped. We released them on ransom," Talabani said, without explaining when the exchange occurred. "Therefore, we are trying to speak to them to know what they really want."
Talabani hopes to find a solution to free the hostages because "by using force, we cannot do anything against them."
Saad Harbiya, commander of Kirkuk Operations Command, downplayed the spate of abductions, saying the security of the region is "under control".
"Thanks be to God, the security of the region is under control. Our forces are ready and playing a good role in their duties," Harbiya told Rudaw.
Many Kurds in Daquq have previously abandoned their homes, fearing the resurgence of ISIS. Iraqi security forces are only present inside the cities and larger towns of southern and western Kirkuk, leaving swathes of the countryside undefended.
Disputed territories claimed by both Erbil and Baghdad in the provinces of Kirkuk, Nineveh, Diyala, and Salahadin have become a hotbed for the bully boyz group’s activities.
[Jpost] The Paleostinian Authority (PA) expressed its anger earlier this week over restrictive measures imposed on services for all faiths at the Cave of the Patriarchs tombs in Hebron, according to a JNS report.
The PA accused Israel of deliberately infringing on religious freedoms by applying restrictions, with the Paleostinian WAFA news claiming that the "Israeli occupation forces" stopped Paleostinians from attending morning prayers at the Cave of the Patriarchs (known in Arabic as the Ibrahimi Mosque).
Israel said that the restrictions were placed on public gatherings in a bid to stop the further spread of coronavirus (aka COVID19 or Chinese Plague) ...the twenty first century equivalent of bubonic plague, only instead of killing off a third of the population of Europe it kills 3.4 percent of those who notice they have it. It seems to be fond of the elderly, especially Iranian politicians and holy men... in the area.
The report also noted that IDF forces have allegedly set up checkpoints and inspection areas along roads leading to the religious site, preventing groups of more than 50 people from entering the prayer space.
Hefzi Abu Sneineh, director of endowments for Hebron, criticized the restrictions, saying that "the Israeli measures that strive to keep Moslem worshipers away from the site by closing the electronic gates and blocking residents’ paths at military checkpoints," according to Israel National News.
He added that "an attack on the holy places of Islam" contravenes international treatise on religious freedom.
[Rudaw] Two Ottoman Turkish-backed Syrian opposition groups have reportedly engaged in "fierce" festivities in the northeast Syrian border town of Ras al-Ain, also known by the Kurdish name Sari Kani.
The infighting occurred between Suqour al-Shamal and the 20th Division, a group associated with al-Hamza Division, according to the UK-based war monitor the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR). Both are components of the Ottoman Turkish-based Syrian National Army, the largest coalition of Syrian rebel groups opposed to the regime of Syrian Hereditary President-for-Life Bashir Pencilneck al-Assad Before going into the family business Pencilneck was an eye doctor. If he'd stuck with it he'd have had a good practice by now... "All [of the festivities] are part of ongoing campaigns against undisciplined groups in the area," General Yousif Mohammed Abu Khalid of the Syrian National Army told Rudaw English.
Continued on Page 49
Posted by: trailing wife ||
05/29/2020 00:00 ||
Top|| File under: Sublime Porte
Appears to be Sari Kani private rodeo. Please pass the popcorn and continue to monitor via orbiting platforms.
Hat tip to the Orange Man for avoiding another muslim klusterfok.
For the first time in two months, the Syrian and Russian air forces launched airstrikes over the eastern region of the Homs Governorate.
According to reports, the Russian and Syrian air forces targeted the Islamic State’s (ISIS/ISIL/IS/Daesh) positions in the Badiya Al-Sham region, which is primarily desert terrain along the administrative border of Deir Ezzor and Homs.
At the same time, the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) and their allies from the National Defense Forces (NDF) and Palestinian-led Jerusalem Brigade (Liwaa Al-Quds) launched a heavy attack on the Islamic State’s positions between the towns of Al-Sukhnah and Al-Shoulah.
The Syrian Arab Army and their allies have been forced to increase their presence in eastern Homs and western Deir Ezzor, following the Islamic State’s attacks in several areas inside these governorates.
Posted by: Fred ||
05/29/2020 00:00 ||
Top|| File under: Govt of Syria
[ALMASDARNEWS] The head of the Russian reconciliation center, Rear Admiral Oleg Zhuravlev, revealed on Wednesday evening that the terrorist group behind the attack on the Ottoman Turkish Army vehicle in Idlib was a foreign jihadist faction that is operating inside the governorate.According to Zhuravlev, the Russian military learned that the terrorist group behind the attack was the Turkestan Islamic Party (TIP). ...the Al Qaeda-linked Uighur jihadi group from western China formerly known as the East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM) and other names. It claims to want a caliphate in Xinjiang, and according to China committed 200+ jihadi attacks causing over 600 casualties between 1990 and 2001. In 1998 they moved their headquarters to Kabul under the protection of the Taliban, then after 9/11 moved to North Waziristan under the protection of Pakistan branch of the Taliban (TTP). There is a second branch in Syria, allied with Al Nusra and Turkey. Also, a TIP man sits on Al Qaeda’s executive leadership council, and another is emir of Al Qaeda’s military force in Pakistan’s FATA. This may explain why China feels so strongly about the need to correct the thinking of their countrymen who remained behind...
"According to the information received by the Russian Centre for the Reconciliation of Warring Parties, the holy warriors of the Turkestan Islamic Party were involved in the attack, which activated IEDs during the movement of the Ottoman Turkish military convoy near the ammunition depot of the terrorist group", Zhuravlev said.
Zhuravlev said the roadside kaboomexploded along the M-4 Highway (Aleppo-Latakia Highway) at 10:40 A.M.; he said they were conducting their daily patrol when the earth-shattering kaboom happened.
"One Ottoman Turkish soldier who received multiple shrapnel wounds as a result of the earth-shattering kaboom and was evacuated to The Sick Man of Europe Turkey ...the occupiers of Greek Asia Minor... , died", Zhuravlev went on to say.
He did not reveal how the Russian military obtained this information.
The Ottoman Turkish Ministry of Defense later confirmed the death of their soldier, while adding that another was hospitalized for minor wounds.
A multi-volume chronology and reference guide set detailing three years of the Mexican Drug War between 2010 and 2012.
Rantburg.com and borderlandbeat.com correspondent and author Chris Covert presents his first non-fiction work detailing
the drug and gang related violence in Mexico.
Chris gives us Mexican press dispatches of drug and gang war violence
over three years, presented in a multi volume set intended to chronicle the death, violence and mayhem which has
dominated Mexico for six years.