Archived material is restricted to Rantburg regulars and members. If you need access email fred.pruitt=at=gmail.com with your nick to be added to the members list. There is no charge to join Rantburg as a member.
#1 Most people in the West don't appreciate the extreme nationalism taught in Chinese schools. Basically they are taught that China was abused and exploited for 200 years by the West and Japan.
Posted by phil_b 2012-09-16 03:55||
#2 was abused and exploited for 200 years
Also reinforces progressive outcomes in US colleges and among the Food Stamp community.
Posted by Besoeker 2012-09-16 08:18||
#3 Basically they are taught that China was abused and exploited for 200 years by the West and Japan..
...after abusing their neighbors for a thousand plus years. Then again, it's much more fun doing it to others than having it done to you.
Back in the 19th Century when the Euros starting showing up, China and Japan took different courses. The Chinese said their shortcomings were the result of failure to keep to the 'old ways'. The Japanese said it was the technology and promptly sent out teams to gather the knowledge of the West.
The Japanese showed they learned well first with the Sino-Japanese War, kicking Chinese butt, and then the Russo-Japanese War, kicking Euro butt. That would be followed by the invasion of China in the 1930s, which the elders in Beijing probably won't forget.
It took the Chinese nearly a hundred years to figure out what the Japanese had understood since the 19th Century. That the Chinese now are following the rabid nationalistic model previously employed by the Japanese will only lead to a similar outcome in the end.
Posted by Procopius2k 2012-09-16 09:33||
#4 The Japanese atrocities in China were on par with Germany. We've just kept it low key and under wraps to assure we had an ally. The Chinese didn't.
Posted by Nimble Spemble 2012-09-16 12:18||
#5 We've always hated Japan.
Yes. Yes. We have always been at war with Eastasia.
Posted by Abu Uluque 2012-09-16 16:43||
Posted by Abu Uluque 2012-09-16 17:53||
#7 Looks like Japan is striking back ...
* CHINESE MILITARY FORUM > WSJ: JAPAN LAUNCHES AD BLITZ TO DRIVE HOME TERRITORIAL CLAIMS, as per TAKESHIMA [ROK = Dokdo], SENKAKUS [China = Diaoyus/Tiaoyutai], + NORTHERN TERRITORIES [Russia = South Kurils].
* CHINA DAILY FORUM > JAPANESE PROTESTORS SHOUT SLOGANS AT MARCH DENOUNCING SOUTH KOREA + CHINA.
Not-a-few obscenities + obscene protest signs, ON BOTH SIDES.
* SAME > JAPANESE ACTIVIST SNUBS SEOUL SUMMONS OVER PROVACATIVE "DOKDO" POST.
Got other better thingys to do today than respond to the demands of territory-stealing South Koreans.
* SAME > [Japan] FIVE LDP CANDIDATES, IN SECOND DEBATE, PUSH FOR [harder] HARDLINES AGZ CHINA.
Posted by JosephMendiola 2012-09-16 21:33||
#8 Meanwhile, "EXPENDABLE 2" + "COURAGE" fans, on the China side ...
* CHINESE MILITARY FORUM > ANALYSIS: FROM CHINA'S VIEWPOINT, JAPAN SHOULD'VE KEPT ISLES' PROBLEM SHELVED.
- Japan opened up a "Pandora's Box" vee China by its action to purchase + nationalize Chinese islands.
- Japan has reneged on a "tacit understanding" between it + mainland China.
- PH NODA AIDE = JAPAN CANNOT RULE OUT SCENARIO THAT CHINA WON'T MOBILIZE ITS MILITARY FORCES TO PROTECT ITS TERRITORIAL CLAIMS.
* SAME > JAPAN REPORTED A TOTAL OF EIGHT CHINA PATROL SHIPS [CMS] ENTERED THE DIAOYU ISLANDS.
* SAME > EVENTS CANCELLED AS JAPAN-CHINA ISLE TENSIONS ESCALATE.
* DEFENCE.PK/FORUMS > CHINA SUBMITS BASELINES OF THE TERRITORIAL WATERS AROUND THE DIAOYU ISLANDS.
* SAME > PANASONIC, TOYOTA REPORT DAMAGES IN CHINA AS PROTESTS WIDEN.
* CHINA DAILY > CHINA ANNOUNCES GEOGRAPHIC CODES FOR DIAOYU ISLANDS.
* SAME > [UNCLOS] UNO TO GET SHELF SUBMISSION, as per China's East China Sea continental shelf claims.
Posted by JosephMendiola 2012-09-16 21:49||
#9 At last check, China's latest or newest "tactic" vee Japan oer Diaoyus appears to be deploying armed Patrol Boats [CMS = PLAN?] to protect an estimated 1000 Fishing Boats whom will likely return to the fishing grounds in + around the Diaoyus = Senkakus, once the seasonal East China Sea Fishing Moratorium is lifted as per routine.
* CHINESE MILITARY FORUM > ****!, A THOUSAND CHINESE BOATS SAIL TOWARDS DIAOYU ISLAND.
* WAFF > JAPAN TO UP [improve] SECURITY IN DSIPUTED ISLANDS.
* CHINESE MILITARY FORUM > [Yu Zhirong = State Oceanic Admin] A SENIOR CHINESE OFFICIAL SUGGESTED THE COUNTRY WAS WILLING TO RISK A "MINOR CONFLICT" [military?] | CHINA WILLING TO RISK "CONFLICT" ON CLAIMS TO WATERS AROUND SENKAKUS.
ARTIC > YU ZHIRONG = China will have to "beat/chase off" any Japanese Coast Guard vessels intruding on Chinese territorial waters.
* SAME > [Mainichi Shimbun] JAPAN: OVER 50 PERCENT [56%] SUPPORT REVISION TO WAR-RENOUNCING ARTICLE OF [National] CONSTITUTION: POLL | SIXTY-FIVE PERCENT FAVOR REVISING POST-WAR CONSTITUTION: MAINICHI POLL.
* WORLD MILITARY FORUM > PLA: USE OF MILITARY FORCE IS BOTTOM LINE FOR CHINA TO PREVENT JAPAN SDFS FROM ENTERING DIAOYU ISLANDS.
* SAME > UNIVERSITY OF MACAU PROFESSOR-EXPERT: RUSSIA + CHINA ARE NOT SIGNATORIES TO THE 1951 TREATY OF SAN FRANCISCO, US SUPPORT OF JAPAN ON DIAOYU ISLANDS' ISSUE INDIRECTLY FOSTERS A RETURN BY JAPAN TO A NEW AGE OF AGRESSIVE MIITARISM IN ASIA-PACIFIC.
* SAME > ANALYSIS OF US RAND THINK-TANK:INTERVENING US MILITARY FORCES FACE INEVITABLE DEFEAT IN ANY DE FACTO SINO-JAPANESE WAR OVER THE DAOYU ISLANDS DUE TO US INABILITY TO MAINTAIN CONSTANT LOCAL LONG-RANGE AIR SUPERIORITY OR DOMINANCE FROM GUAM ISLAND. JASDF AIR- AND NAVAL BASES ARE LIKELY FIRST TARGET IN CHINESE CONVENTIONAL MILITARY PREEMPTIVE OR "FIRST-STRIKE".
IOW, IIUC China may not strike at incoming US Milfors + CVBGS as long as they do NOT intervene in its combat agz Japan - GUAM-CNMI, + possibly the Philippines, will be the only US Milbases
"safe" from PLA, PLAAF attacks in + around Japan per se. SAFE TO SAY SOUTH KOREA [Taiwan?] WILL ALSO BE GONE + DENIED TO US INTERVENING FORCES.
SUB-IOW, JAPAN OR US-JAPAN MUST STRIKE FIRST???
Posted by JosephMendiola 2012-09-16 22:29||
#10 OOOPPPSIES, forgot WORLD MILITARY FORUM > LOS ANGELES TIMES US MEDIA: SINO-US "GREAT GAME" IS THE CAUSE OF EAST ASIA ISLANDS' DISPUTES, in both East China Sea + South China Sea.
* IIRC XINHUA > US AND RUSSIA: A TALE OF TWO "PIVOTS" IN ASIA-PACIFIC.
Well, them Siberian Cranes successfully flew alongside the US Babe years back, but went mostly their own way when Studly Manly VLAD recently tried to be their "MOM/LEADER".
And once again, Virgina, we learn why the Klingon Empire ordered the extermination of each + every cute-n-cuddly furball Tribble across the galaxy.
D *** NG IT, CLEARLY SIBERIAN CRANES ARE A DEADLY/MORTAL THREAT TO SIBERA!
Posted by JosephMendiola 2012-09-16 22:45||