Archived material is restricted to Rantburg regulars and members. If you need access email fred.pruitt=at=gmail.com with your nick to be added to the members list. There is no charge to join Rantburg as a member.
#1 Xi Jinping, obviously a man of sound judgement and good taste.
Posted by Besoeker 2012-09-06 06:57||
#2 Is this "Smart Diplomacy" or the old re-set button?
Posted by AlanC 2012-09-06 08:15||
#3 "The US should respect China's national sovereignty and territorial integrity, respect China's national core interests and the people's feelings," said Wen Jiabao, during his meeting with Mrs Clinton.
Yeah, but not Tibet's, huh? Or Taiwan, Japan, Philippines or Vietnam?
Posted by Abu Uluque 2012-09-06 10:36||
#4 Touchy. All Hillary said was ... "Hey surf's up in the south China Sea. Let's go hit the beach, dude!"
Posted by Raider 2012-09-06 15:22||
#5 Things are not so rosy between Russia and China also.
Posted by Dale 2012-09-06 18:30||
#6 Uh, uh, ROCKY HORROR'S DR. FRANKENFURTER???
* ION TOPIX > FROM NORTH PACIFIC TO SOUTH CHINA SEA, NATIONALISM STOKING BITTER ASIAN ISLAND DISPUTES.
* WORLD NEWS > [Asahi News] CHINA BEGAN ONLY OPENLY CLAIMING SENKAKUS [China = Daoyus/Daoyutai] IN 1970'S.
* RELATED SAME > [2012 US DNC] DEMOCRATS VOW TO TO KEEP STRONG MILITARY PRESENCE IN ASIA, vee Nippon, Korean Peninsula, + Aussies.
* ASAHI NEWS > JAPAN, US MULL JOINT USE OF GUAM FACILITIES [Andersen AFB] FOR DRONES TO KEEP CHINA IN CHECK, i.e. recce PLAN movements in WESTPAC.
Three ea. GLOBAL HAWKS already operate out of Guam's Andersen AFB - the latter is slated to also received the more advanced Global Hawk follow-on/ derivative "TRITON" UAV.
* WORLD MILITARY FORUM > TAIWAN CENTRAL NEWS AGENCY: JAPANESE MEDIA CLAIMS THAT MAIN GOVT. PLANS TO FORMALLY "NATIONALIZE" THREE ISLANDS OF DISPUTED DAOYUS ON SEPTEMBER 10TH + 11TH, WID SIGNATORY TO MAIN ISLAND ON SEPTEMBER 11TH.
* JAPAN BEATS LOUDER THE DRUMS OF WAR AGZ CHINA IN EAST CHINA SEA: TOKYO PLAN TO "NATIONALIZE" DAOYUS" MAY LEAD TO REGIONAL MILITARY CONFLICT WID CHINA. PLA "SECOND ARTILLERY"S NUCLEAR ARSENAL AGZ JAPAN'S AIR, NAVAL SDFS. REJECTION OF
JAPAN'S DAOYU "SHARE PLAN" BY CHINA.
IIUC, SINO-JAPANESE DAOYUS MIL CONFLICT > China + PLA may use such to forcibly recover Taiwan + possibly Okinawa???
Lest we fergit, China was not happy about Japan's decision to expand the JSDF garrison + MilSys on Yonaguni off Taiwan.
* SAME > JAPANESE DEFENCE MINISTER MORITOMO: JAPAN MUST KEEP AND MAINTAIN NUCLEAR POWER FOR ITS NATIONAL, GEOPOLITICAL, MILITARY AND ENERGY SECURITY, NUCLEAR POWER TOO VITAL FOR JAPAN TO ELIMNATE, AS JAPAN'S NEIGHBORS IN EAST ASIA MUST BELIEVE THAT JAPAN CAN QUICKLY PRODUCE NUCLEAR WEAPONS IN CONTINGENCY FOR DETERRENCE FACTORS TO WORK.
* SAME > COMMENTARY: OKINAWA NATIVES VIEW DISPUTED DAUYUS AS NEITHER OF JAPAN NOR OF MAINLAND CHINA, BUT OF RYUKYU CHINA.
Posted by JosephMendiola 2012-09-07 00:27||