Archived material is restricted to Rantburg regulars and members. If you need access email fred.pruitt=at=gmail.com with your nick to be added to the members list. There is no charge to join Rantburg as a member.
#1 He'll never resign - he's wanted this job for decades.
Posted by Raj 2013-07-09 01:08||
#2 * PACIFICNEWSCENTER > FURLOUGHS BEGIN FOR 50,000 FULL-TIME NATIONAL GUARDSMEN, INCLUDING GUAM.
RELATED GLOBAL TIMES.CN > US PENTAGON STARTS FURLOUGHS OF CIVILIAN WORKERS.
* MARIANAS VARIETY GUAM > IMF'S LAGARDE: US BUDGET CUTS [Sequestration] ARE INAPPROPRIATE, i.e. more likely to hinder or stifle growth.
* NEW YORK TIMES > US CONSIDERS FASTER PULLOUT FRON AFGHANISTAN WID NO TROOPS LEFT BEHIND, i.e. "Zero" US Troops Option.
* CHINESE MILITARY FORUM > IN OKINAWA, TALK OF BREAK WID JAPAN TURNS SERIOUS.
RELATED WORLD MILITARY FORUM > JAPAN'S COMMUNISTS, OKINAWA-BASED CHINESE, INDIGENOUS SOCIETIES CALL FOR END OF CHINA-JAPAN SENKKAUS/DIAOYUS DISPUTE, AUTONOMY + WITHDRAWAL OF US MILITARY FORCES FROM OKINAWA.
* Also from WORLD MILITARY FORUM > NATIONAL DEFENSE UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR: US PACIFIC "PIVOT" USELESS IFF PHILIPPINES + JAPAN [First Island Chain] "LOST" TO US.
* SAME > PLA MGEN. LUO YUAN:RISK OF US-CHINA OR EAST ASIA WAR INCREASED DUE TO RETURN OF US + JAPAN, ETC. [Australia? ASEAN?] TO SUBIC BAY + CLARK USAF BASES IN PHILIPPINES. COMPLETION OF HOSTILE US-LED CONTAINMENT OR ISOLATION OF MAINLAND CHINA. CONTROL OF SENKAKUS, OKINAWA, + TAIWAN MORE IMPERATIVE OR URGENT FOR CHINA THAN EVER BEFORE. PLA LR ATTACKS TO CAPTURE OR NEUTRALIZE US BASES IN GUAM, MARIANAS.PLAAF AIRPOWER, SUBMARINES IN SUPPORT OF AIRBORNE FORCES.
* WORLD NEWS > CCP: US MILITARY PRESENCE IN PHILIPPINES HINDERS PEACEFUL RESOLUTION OF TERRITORIAL ROW.
* GLOBAL TIMES.CN > WHITE HOUSE SEES BUDGET DEFICIT SHRINKING TO US$759.0BILYUHN IN FY2013.
As per MURPHY'S LAWS, iff the Bammer = USoAmerika can give up Guam-WESTPAC widout firing a shot due to excessive National Debt burdens, why fire a shot also to save China-desired HAWAII + 1/2 of CONUS-NORAM???
But I digress ...
Posted by JosephMendiola 2013-07-09 01:31||
#3 If he resigns, would there be any noticeable difference in the State Dept? The career weasel-wordsmiths at Foggy Bottom are already running the place with little attention paid to the otiose popinjay SecState.
(Go look the words up - they fit quite exactly)
Posted by OldSpook 2013-07-09 02:06||
#4 Could it be that the stench of this administration is too much for even Senator Kerry? I don't believe we can rule it out entirely.
Posted by Besoeker 2013-07-09 02:13||
#5 Unless THK's condition is much more serious than disclosed, I don't see it happening. This guy is in doing the job he feels he was destined to do. His rolodex is HUGE and he revels in being in the thick of big foreign policy issues. He is tireless and runs his staff ragged - though they all say he's a nice guy. The WH may try to rein him in but he's livin' the dream.
Posted by Bangkok Billy 2013-07-09 06:22||
#6 Thanks for your insight Billy.
Posted by Besoeker 2013-07-09 06:26||
#7 Yes, he has a chance to make a difference! More so than at any other time since Winter Soldier.
Posted by Bobby 2013-07-09 06:47||
#8 Kerry currently searching desperately for that damned pre-nup.
Posted by Muggsey Mussolini 2013-07-09 11:41||
#9 That it is even a question further erodes whatever authority is left after being caught playing on his dingy then covered for. Seems like he is batting below the Mendoza line, but he is a superstar - so who would replace him.
Posted by swksvolFF 2013-07-09 12:08||
#10 Susan Rice
Posted by Nimble Spemble 2013-07-09 14:23||