|Home Front: WoT|
|Anatomy of the terror threat: Files show hundreds of US plots, refugee connection|
|[FoxNews] Newly obtained congressional data shows hundreds of terror plots have been stopped in the U.S. since 9/11 – mostly involving foreign-born suspects, including dozens of refugees.|
The files are sure to inflame the debate over the Obama administration’s push to admit thousands more refugees from Syria and elsewhere, a proposal Donald Trump has vehemently opposed on the 2016 campaign trail.
“[T]hese data make clear that the United States not only lacks the ability to properly screen individuals prior to their arrival, but also that our nation has an unprecedented assimilation problem,” Sens. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., and Ted Cruz, R-Texas, told President Obama in a June 14 letter, obtained by FoxNews.com.
The files also give fresh insight into the true scope of the terror threat and cover a wide range of cases, including:
Across both those groups, the senators reported that at least 40 people initially admitted to the U.S. as refugees later were convicted or implicated in terror cases.
Among the 580 convicted, they said, at least 380 were foreign-born. The top countries of origin were Pakistan, Lebanon and Somalia, as well as the Palestinian territories.
Both Sessions and Cruz sit on the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration and the National Interest, which compiled the terror-case information based on data from the Justice Department, news reports and other open-source information. The files were shared with FoxNews.com.
The files include dates, states of residence, countries of origin for foreign-born suspects, and reams of other details.
Specifically, they show a sharp spike in cases in 2015, largely stemming from the arrest of suspects claiming allegiance to the Islamic State. They also show a heavy concentration of cases involving suspects from California, Texas, New York and Minnesota, among other states.
The senators say the terror-case repository still is missing critical details on suspects’ immigration history, which they say the Department of Homeland Security has “failed to provide.” Immigration data the senators compiled came from other sources.
Sessions and Cruz asked the president in their letter to order the departments of Justice, Homeland Security and State to "update" and provide more detailed information. The senators have sent several letters to those departments since last year requesting immigration histories of those tied to terror.
“The administration refuses to give out the information necessary to establish a sound policy that protects Americans from terrorists,” Sessions said in a statement to Fox News.
Asked about the complaints, DHS spokeswoman Gillian M. Christensen told FoxNews.com the department “will respond to the senators’ request directly and not through the press.”
“More than 100 Congressional committees, subcommittees, caucuses, commissions and groups exercise oversight and ensure accountability of DHS and we work closely with them on a daily basis. We’ve received unprecedented requests from a number of senators and representatives for physical paper files for more than 700 aliens,” she said, adding that officials have to review each page manually for privacy and other issues.
Cruz ran unsuccessfully this year for the Republican presidential nomination. Sessions, an ardent critic of the administration’s immigration policies, is supporting presumptive GOP nominee Trump.
The allegations detailed in the subcommittee’s research pertain to a range of cases, involving suspects caught traveling or trying to travel overseas to fight, as well as suspects ensnared in controversial sting operations which civil-liberties groups including the ACLU have criticized.
In a 2014 report, Human Rights Watch said nearly half of the federal counterterror convictions at the time came from “informant-based cases,” many of them sting operations where the informants played a role in the plot.
The report said: “In some cases the Federal Bureau of Investigation may have created terrorists out of law-abiding individuals by conducting sting operations that facilitated or invented the target’s willingness to act.”
But even in some of those cases, federal agents got involved after learning of a serious suspected plot. In the case of the Seattle suspect, Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif, authorities said he approached someone in 2011 about attacking a military installation. That citizen alerted law enforcement and worked with them to capture Latif and an accomplice.
|Home Front: WoT|
|Man Pleads Guilty In Plot To Attack Seattle Military Site|
|[Jpost] A Seattle man pleaded guilty on Thursday in connection with a plot to mount a machine-gun and grenade attack on a US military recruitment center in the city, federal prosecutors said.|
Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif, 35, pleaded guilty in US District Court in Seattle to conspiracy to murder officers and employees of the United States and conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction.
His co-defendant, 33-year-old Walli Mujahidh, pleaded guilty in December 2011 to conspiracy and weapons charges.
|Jihad in Seattle: Attack on US Marines|
|Michael D. McCright, a.k.a. Mikhial Jihad.|
Court documents filed following McCright's arrest indicate he has links with at least one of two men accused of plotting a suicide attack on a south Seattle Marine processing and intake center. The deputy prosecutor in McCright's case said that McCright's cell phone was used three times to call Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif,
Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif, a.k.a. Joseph Anthony Davis, and Walli Mujahidh, a.k.a. Frederick Domingue Jr., are accused of conspiring to murder federal agents and officers and conspiring to use weapons of mass destruction, for their roles in plotting a suicide attack on the Federal Way MEPS center in south Seattle. Initial charges were filed in late June 2011 shortly after their arrest in an FBI sting operation; further charges were added in July, including weapons violations and solicitation of a crime of violence. In August, the trial was postponed due to the complexity of the case and the quantity of evidence gathered by the FBI and police, The Associated Press reported. Both Abdul-Latif and Mujahidh pled not guilty at the time.
|Home Front: WoT|
|Seattle area man admits to attacking Marines|
|A man tied by prosecutors to two Seattle terror suspects has admitted attempting to run two Marines off Interstate 5.|
McCright, who also goes by Mikhial Jihad, pleaded guilty Wednesday to reduced charges so he will not face a life sentence under Washington's "three-strikes" law. Prosecutors plan to request a five-year prison term.
In the incident, the Marine sergeants had left a local processing center. While the staff sergeant driving the car remained in uniform, the other man had changed into civilian clothing.
The two were on the interstate when a small blue car sped toward them. A bearded man in a skull cap, McCright, was behind the wheel. As the car came alongside the Marines, the staff sergeant noticed McCright spot his uniform. The staff sergeant told police, "His eyes widened and he appeared to become angry."
McCright forced the government car into the emergency lane, then pulled in front of the Marines' vehicle and slammed on his brakes, nearly causing a collision.
The passenger in the Marine's car called 911 and reported the license plate number to the police. Investigators later linked the car to McCright and phoned him. At the time, McCright denied any involvement and said he rarely drove the car. He was arrested on Sept. 8 in Seattle.
Prosecutors have said McCright was in contact with Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif, a Des Moines man accused of plotting an attack on a South Seattle military processing station.
McCright's connection to Abdul-Latif has not yet been disclosed, though the latter remains in federal custody pending trial on terror charges.
In court documents shortly after McCright's arrest, Senior Deputy Prosecutor Gary Ernsdorff said, "Investigators have confirmed that the cell phone used by the defendant ... was used on at least three occasions to contact Abdul-Latif prior to Latif's arrest by federal authorities. The FBI is continuing to investigate defendant McCright's possible connection to domestic terrorism."
Abdul-Latif, 33, and LA resident Walli Mujahidh had been accused of plotting a suicide attack on a military processing center. Prosecutors claim the men planned to storm the center to kill recruits and Department of Defense workers there. Mujahidh later pleaded guilty.
The plot was allegedly foiled at the last moment after another Muslim man
McCright remains jailed on $2 million bail charged with second-degree assault. He is expected back in court on Oct. 12.
McCright, a repeat violent felon, may have faced a life sentence as a "three-strikes" offender if convicted on the original charge of second-degree assault. Instead, McCright pleaded guilty to two counts of felony harassment and one count of attempted malicious mischief.
McCright is scheduled to be sentenced in June and remains in jail. Abdul-Latif and Mujahidh also remain confined. Abdul-Latif faces a life sentence.
|Salafist preacher and Internet activist indicted in Germany|
|Ibrahim Abou-Nagie, a salafi/jihadi preacher very active online, has been indicted in Cologne, Germany. Abou-Nagie, together with Abu Dujana of Bonn, operate as Die Wahre Religion (The True Religion). |
They are cited in multiple cases including those of the now-deceased Bekkay Harrach, and more recently Robert M. (arrested with an associate attempting to enter Britain whilst in possession of jihadist materials including Inspire magazine), not to mention Arid Uka, the Frankfurt shooter.
Abou-Nagie is charged with legitimization of violence and calling for the destruction of other religions (""Empfehlungen", die Gewalt legitimierten - bis zur Vernichtung Andersgläubiger" in German).
Not surprisingly, the 423 Youtube friends of Die Wahre Religion are in turn linked in some way to, or have otherwise turned up in the course of investigations into, the following (not an all-inclusive list):
Islamic Thinkers Society
Salahudin Ibn Jafar
Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif
|Home Front: WoT|
|Suspects in Seattle military attack plot angry over Iraq, Afghanistan|
|SEATTLE -- Two men have been arrested in a plot to attack a Seattle military recruiting station, reports the U.S. Justice Department and FBI. Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif, who also went by Joseph Anthony Davis, 33, of Seattle, and Walli Mujahidh, also known as Frederick Domingue, Jr., 32, of Los Angeles, will face terrorism and firearms charges for the suspected plot.|
"Driven by a violent, extreme ideology, these two young Americans are charged with plotting to murder men and women who were enlisting in the Armed Forces to serve and protect our country," said Todd Hinnen, Acting Assistant Attorney General for National Security.
According to the FBI, Abdul-Latif was outwardly angry about the current United States military presence in Iraq and Afghanistan, and even in Yemen. Charging documents show Abdul-Latif believed "murdering American soldiers was justifiable."
FBI officials said Abdul-Latif "wanted to die as a martyr in the attack."
"It's a confined space, not a lot of people carrying weapons, and we'd have an advantage," Abdul-Latif said in a recording.
"Imagine how many young Muslims, if we're successful, will try to hit these kind of centers," said Abdul-Latif in a recording. "Imagine how fearful America will be, and they'll know they can't push the Muslims around."
Police first found out about the plot on June 3 when a citizen alerted a Seattle Police detective, saying he was initially approached about the plot by Abdul-Latif on May 30 at Abdul-Latif's SeaTac apartment. FBI agents said the informant was recruited because Abdul-Latif believed he held similar beliefs, and that he would be able to get a hold of the weapons needed for the attack.
With the help of the informant, law enforcement then began recording the suspects, both on audio and video tape, discussing the plot. The informant was instructed to learn the layout of the MEPS, and buy machine guns used to carry out the attack, all with the intention of killing military men and women, according to the FBI.
Charging documents show on June 6, Abdul-Latif and Mujahidh as well as the informant spoke on the phone about general aspects of the plot, including the need to get a hold of firearms and even train with them in Wenatchee, Washington, prior to the attack. Documents show during that conversation, Mujahidh assured Abdul-Latif that he was committed to carrying out the plan.
The next day, federal officials say Abdul-Latif told the informant it was time to check out the MEPS location and "make a plan from there."
Abdul-Latif and the informant met together on June 8 to do so, according to the FBI. The pair drove to the MEPS, parked and looked around the property. Peering inside the front doors, Abdul-Latif noted a security guard inside, but said, "We'll just kill him right away...we can kill him first."
On the same day, the informant was instructed by Abdul-Latif to get a hold of machine guns, ammunition, magazines and grenades to use during the attack, charging papers show.
During the next week, law enforcement learned Mujahidh made plans to come to Seattle via bus from Los Angeles on June 20. On June 21, the trio met together to discuss the plotted attack at a restaurant. FBI agents said Abdul-Latif left the restaurant, and the informant and Mujahidh continued the discussion.
The informant, according to FBI recordings, said he was going to do some work on his car sound system if they lived through the attack.
"We're either gonna get killed or end up locked up," said Mujahidh, according to the FBI.
Mujahidh indicated to the informant, based on recordings, that he'd rather carry out the attack at Joint Base Lewis-McChord.
"Yeah so we are going in and killing everybody?" he asked the informant on an FBI tape. "I'd rather do Fort Lewis, man."
Mujahidh also told the informant that before leaving Los Angeles, he told people he was going to Seattle on a jihad and that "[the attack] is my way of getting rid of sins, man...I got so many of 'em...I got a bunch of 'em."
After further discussion, Mujahidh and the informant joined back up with Abdul-Latif at his SeaTac apartment. There, they discussed further aspects of the plot, and even considered buying rocket-propelled grenades for the attack.
"We're not only trying to kill people, we're trying to send a message" said Abdul-Latif. "We're trying to get something that's gonna be on CNN and all over the world."
Several times, backing out of the plan was brought up, and what to do if anyone was caught by law enforcement.
"If any of us gets caught, and we survive...don't' ever say anything to the police..." said Abdul-Latif. "We have to promise, if any of us gets caught or thrown in jail for any reason before this happens, if they offer you a deal to talk, don't talk."
On Wednesday, June 22, both Abdul-Latif and Mujahidh and the informant went to a warehouse in Seattle, where the informant said they could pick up their machine guns he purchased. The warehouse, at an undisclosed location, was equipped by FBI with audio and visual recording devices.
Inside the warehouse, the suspects inspected the weapons, holding them and discussing their features, FBI reported. Abdul-Latif instructed the weapons were to be taken to a place in Burien at "First and Burien," prompting FBI and law enforcement to enter the warehouse and place Abdul-Latif and Mujahidh under arrest.
Charging documents show Mujahidh admitted to plotting to kill soldiers, and carry out the attacks with guns and grenades. He also asked agents how long they had known about the plot. Abdul-Latif, however, made no statements.
The FBI acknowledged that the informant does have an extensive criminal history, including five felony convictions, but has never been convicted of any "crimes of dishonesty."
Officially, Abdul-Latif and Mujahidh are charged by complaint with:
Both men face life in prison if convicted of the charges.
|Home Front: WoT|
|Two arrested in alleged plot to destroy Seattle military recruiting center|
| (KUNA) -- Two men have been in an alleged plot to attack a military recruiting center in Seattle, Washington, the Justice department confirmed Thursday.|
Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif, also known as Joseph Anthony Davis and Walli Mujahid, also known as Frederik Domingue Jr. were late Wednesday by agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigations(FBI).
Investigators said they have video and audio recording of the men plotting to destroy the Military Entrance Processing Station, a screening and processing center for all branches of the military. The men allegedly planned to attack using grenades and machine guns.
"The complaint alleges these men intended to carry out a deadly attack against our military where they should be most safe, here at home," Seattle Attorney Jenny said in a news release. "This is a sobering reminder of our need to be vigilant and that our first line of defense is the people who live in our community. We were able to disrupt the plot because someone stepped forward and reported it to authorities," she added.
Agents became aware of the plot through someone the men tried to recruit as a participant and monitored the plot. The weapons the men purchased had been rendered inoperable, government officials said.
Abdul-Latif and Mujahidh are charged by complaint with conspiracy to murder officers and employees of the U.S., conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction, and possession of firearms in furtherance of crimes of violence. Abdul-Latif is also charged with two counts of illegal possession of firearms.
|Home Front: WoT|
|Two Terror Suspects Arrested In Seattle|
|Two apparent jihadi black Muslims have been arrested in a plot to use machine guns and grenades in an attack on a military recruiting station that also houses a daycare in Seattle, the U.S. Justice Department said Thursday.|
Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif, also known as Joseph Anthony Davis, of Seattle, and Walli Mujahidh, also known as Frederick Domingue Jr., of Los Angeles, were arrested Wednesday night.
Their target was the Military Entrance Processing Station on East Marginal Way in Seattle. Recruits for all military branches are screened and processed there.
Apparently they were narked to the police by someone they tried to recruit.
Abdul-Latif and Mujahidh are charged by complaint with conspiracy to murder officers and employees of the United States, conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction, and possession of firearms in furtherance of crimes of violence. Abdul-Latif is also charged with two counts of illegal possession of firearms.