You have commented 266 times on Rantburg.

Your Name
Your e-mail (optional)
Website (optional)
My Original Nic        Pic-a-Nic        Sorry. Comments have been closed on this article.
Bold Italic Underline Strike Bullet Blockquote Small Big Link Squish Foto Photo
Afghanistan
Nangarhar: Momand Dara district jacket wallah causes 160 casualties, Taliban say wasn’t them
2018-09-12


Suicide attack targets protesters in Nangarhar

[Khaama Press] - Tue Sep 11 2018, 1:43 pm - A suicide bomber targeted a group of protesters in the vicinity of Momand Dara district of eastern Nangarhar province this afternoon.

The provincial public health directorate confirms that 30 people have died in the attack and more than 60 others have sustained injuries.

Provincial governor’s spokesman Ataullah Khogyani had earlier said at least 19 people have died and at least 57 others have sustained injuries in the attack.

He said the wounded individuals have been shifted to the hospitals in Ghani Khel district and Jalalabad city.

However, a provincial council member says at least 40 people have died and dozens more have sustained injuries in the attack.

No individual or group has so far claimed responsibility behind the incident.

Death Toll Rises To 32 In Nangarhar Explosion

[ToloNews] A suicide bomber targeted a protest in Mohmand Dara district in Nangarhar province on Tuesday afternoon.

Provincial governor’s spokesman said at least 19 people were killed and 57 others were wounded in the explosion. However, the provincial public health directorate said at least 32 people were killed and 128 others were wounded in the explosion. The deputy head of Nangarhar provincial council, Obaidullah, said over 50 people lost their lives in the incident.

The protest was held in Mohmand Dara district near Jalalabad-Torkham Highway.

He said the protestors asked for dismissal of Bilal Pacha, a commander of local police force members in Achin district, an area close to Mohmad Dara district.

Local officials said the wounded were taken to Jalalabad hospitals.

The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) in a statement condemned the attack and said it voices its mounting concern at the pattern of attacks targeting civilians and schools.

"The majority of civilian casualties occurred in the Mohmandara district of Nangarhar when a suicide attacker detonated his explosives among a crowd which had gathered to demonstrate against an Afghan Local Police commander. At least 20 civilians were killed and more than 60 injured," UNAMA said.

The statement said that UNAMA reminds all parties to the conflict to uphold their obligations to protect civilians and calls upon them to immediately cease targeting civilians and civilian objects such as schools, in compliance with international humanitarian law.

160 dead, wounded as suicide attack targets protesters in Nangarhar

[KhaamaPress] - Tue Sep 11 2018, 6:07 pm - At least 160 people have been killed or wounded in an explosion in eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan targeting the protesters in Momandara district this afternoon.

The provincial government media office in a statement said the incident took place in Dak area of Momandara district, targeting a gathering of the protesters.

The statement further added that the attack left at least 32 dead while 128 others sustained injuries.

The incident took place at around 1pm local time on Jalalabad-Torkham highway in the vicinity of Dak area as the residents of Shenwar area were protesting and a suicide bomber detonated his explosives near a tent where dozens of protesters had gathered, the statement added.

The statement also added that the dead bodies of at least 32 people have been brought to the hospitals along with 128 others who sustained injuries.

Taliban rejects bombing that left 160 dead, wounded in Nangarhar

[KhaamaPress] - Tue Sep 11 2018, 8:48 pm - The Taliban militants group in Afghanistan rejected the group’s involvement in today’s deadly attack in eastern Nangarhar province that left at least 160 dead or wounded.

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid in a statement said the Taliban group has no role in today’s attack in Nangarhar province.

Mujahid went on to claim that the group never attacks the civilian targets and strongly condemns attacks on ordinary civilians.

No individual or group has so far claimed responsibility behind today’s attack in Nangarhar province.
Posted by:trailing wife

00:00